I cannot create or delete files on an existing ntfs partition

ty for the help!

the Windows ssd is not connected to the pc, it is stored in a drawer in case I need it. Is it necessary to do this step anyway?

Yes. Start your computer with the Windows disk.
Connect your NTFS disk.
Perform the steps described above by @c00ter to turn off Fast Startup.
Shutdown Windows system.
Start your computer with Linux disk.
Check.

No. I think you should remove it from the drawer and mail to me. I have good use for it.

Windows, no matter how evil we view Microsoft, has not yet gained sentience. I think you’re safe to keep it where it is.

1 Like

Why? It’s unneeded unless he reconnects.

If Windows have left a hiberfil.sys on the NTFS drive which causes that it only can be mounted ro in Linux, then shouldn’t it be cleared in Windows?
Or I am not understanding your question?

That would certainly be on whatever system disk he installed Windows on, but if he’s speaking solely of a data disk, it would not be there unless he consciously re-created one. However, that only applies if the user originally installed Windows in that manner, OS on one drive, Data on another. Even then, manufacturers do so in an inconsistent manner. Dell sent me this desktop with Windows OS on a large spinner and the data on a small SSD, the opposite of how it should have been.

We really don’t know the exact setup the OP has, not from the semi-complete information rendered. So you may be right. But if it is only the data needed, deleting hiberfil.sys should not be problematic.

And, please, I’ve only been using Windows for about 6 months the past 20+ years, all recent. All that old Windows-stuff is buried deeply and has gathered plenty of rust. Apply salt as needed.

regards

Makes sense.
It’s been a while that I had to deal with such a file on Linux. I was under the impression that Windows would leave one on every NTFS disk, system or other. I may very well have the wrong impression.

I don’t quite understand; @AlfreX made a conscious decision to mount the windows partition read-only (ro) and now wonders why he (not even as root) can’t write to the disk… :exploding_head:.

==> Just mount the partition/drive as writable (rw) and your problems will magically disappear.

You can remove the Windows hibernation data from within your linux system. See the post I mentioned earlier.

1 Like

we have a helper tool to post pastebins to logs and text output:
to show output of commands or files:

findmnt --real | eos-sendlog

cat /etc/fstab | eos-sendlog

This will upload the text/file to a webside and gives out a short url you can post her.

1 Like

I said to leave the disk as read-only because I can’t find a way to make it writable and I didn’t want to keep bothering Dalto with newbie questions.

Please, would you be so kind to explain me a simple way to do it? Preferably with GUI or if it is with the console, could you tell me step by step?

thanks to all who answered and contributed their knowledge. it is a pleasure to see what a good community there is in this forum and this project, you don’t see things like this every day.

Ty for the tip. But I dont have the tool, I installed EndeavourOS on my laptop, but on this pc (Desk) I try Fedora.

if windows make a dirty shutdown, u can’t write/delete anything in mounted ntfs partition.
Try this fron konsole
sudo ntfsfix /dev/sd?? (? = the drive u want to fix)

3 Likes

That’ s right, it is ntfs formatted but it is only a data disk, it did not have Windows installed on it, and it does not have any hiberfil.sys file on it.

You have two choices here.

Either reconnect the windows disk and disable fast startup or run ntfsfix as recommended above.

Hi! Welcom to EndeavourOS! and ty for the help! greetings from Argentina.

[alfredo@fedora ~]$ sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdb2
[sudo] password for alfredo:
Mounting volume… The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors…
Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr…
Reading $MFT… OK
Reading $MFTMirr… OK
Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT… OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Setting required flags on partition… OK
Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)… OK
Checking the alternate boot sector… OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.
NTFS partition /dev/sdb2 was processed successfully.

2 Likes

Wow! that was the solution! thanks a lot friend!

Dalto, ty very much to you too! you gave me the solution yesterday by recommending me to reconnect the windosws disk and disable fastboot (it was my fault for being lazy and not doing it, I didn’t want to disassemble the pc).

1 Like

maybe if i had done this before, it would have been the solution too :sweat_smile: thanks to you too!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.