Hyper-V on Windows 10

I’m working to make a useable installation of the Endeavour OS inside a Hyper-V virtual machine.

Problems so far:

1 - Xorg not starting on live ISO
2 - Guest vm sound devices not detected
3 - Wayland not starting after install (X11 is working fine)

Detailed info:

1 - Xorg not starting on live ISO

Whenever I start a new Hyper-V Virtual Machine (gen 1 or 2, secure boot disabled…), the ISO fails to load graphic server with a “no screen” error. The issue here seems to be fixed partially by long pressing ctrl+c when the error shows and using the command line that should pop up to do:

$ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-hyperv.conf

Then, paste this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "HYPER-V Framebuffer"
    Driver      "fbdev"
EndSection

Save (ctrl+o) and exit (ctrl+x). Then, run the graphic server:

$ sudo startx

Now you should have access to the live session as root. Not ideal, but working. From there, run in terminal (i know sudo is redundant here):

$ sudo calamares_switcher

Follow the gui instructions to install and you will have a kinda working EndeavourOS on Hyper-V.
Only working on xorg (no wayland).

2 - Guest vm sound devices not detected

Still to be looked upon

3 - Wayland not starting after install (X11 is working fine)

Still to be looked upon

Welcome to the purple side!
And good for you for attempting something different! I admit to only ever using Oracle Virtualbox on Windows to run VMs, and that is without problem. So please keep us updated on your progress.

I’ve only done it the other way around - so it’s all good to learn!

Thank you guys! For now i will keep working on making Hyper-V instances work. In my experience, VMware and VBox work out of the box. My favourite so far is VMware.
I want to try other virtualization techs, but here’s that.

1 Like

@decimo
Are you able to install the newest ISO on Hyper-V?

It looks like there are some permission problems for the X server that prevent it to start.

Error message:
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
(EE)
Fatal server error:

I searched the Web but could not find any useful information.
Has anyone successfully installed the newest ISO on Hyper-V?

You may find some very useful information starting with with https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hyper-V