Hybrid graphics issue

I am trying again to get hybrid graphics working on my Thinkpad Extreme. I downloaded the new April release to overwrite an existing EndeavourOS installation, but selecting the option of using the proprietary Nvidia drivers caused an endless loop indicating an error in a module fbmon(?), so I installed the standard version but selected the ‘use Nvidia proprietary drivers’ option during installation. However, the system still seemed to be using the nouveau version.

I then tried ‘nvidia-installer-dkms -t’ which indicated no errors, so I proceeded to ‘sudo nvidia-installer-dkms’ which downloaded some files and then required a reboot. However, the reboot hung while starting the display manager (lightdm), the same problem I had several months ago. So I reinstalled the nouveau driver and following an earlier discussion in this forum, I used ‘garuda-settings-manager’ from the AUR to install the propietary drivers. This time I was able to reboot, and as the attached screenshot show, it looks like the hybrid option is selected, but the external monitor which runs off the nvidia card using HDMI is not detected. The external monitor is detected on my Popos and Windows 10 partitions.

Is there anything else I should try? Thanks.

well the garuda-settings manager installs
nvidia prime render offloading
and afaik
render offloading does not work with external monitors via hdmi

for external monitors to work
i think you should either use
prime (have nvidia only all the time)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus#Use_NVIDIA_graphics_only
or use
optimus-manager
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus#Using_optimus-manager

1 Like

I just installed optimus-manager, then tried

optimus-manager --switch nvidia

WARNING : the nvidia module does not seem to be available for the current kernel. It is likely the Nvidia driver was not properly installed. GPU switching will probably fail,
continue anyway ? (y/N)
> y
You are about to switch GPUs. This will forcibly close all graphical sessions and all your applications WILL CLOSE.
(you can pass the --no-confirm option to disable this warning)
Continue ? (y/N)

but selecting y and logging back in does not seem to switch to nvidia

❯ optimus-manager --status

Optimus Manager (Client) version 1.2.2

Current GPU mode : intel
GPU mode requested for next login : nvidia
GPU mode for next startup : intel
Temporary config path: no

optimus-manager --set-startup nvidia

try this and reboot

2 Likes

I tried that and rebooted, but it did not switch to nvidia, even after rebooting a couple of times.

❯ optimus-manager --status

Optimus Manager (Client) version 1.2.2

Current GPU mode : intel
GPU mode requested for next login : nvidia
GPU mode for next startup : nvidia
Temporary config path: no

remove nvidia-dkms
and install
nvidia

then try again

3 Likes

After doing that it does run the nvidia driver and the external monitor is detected. But there are still a couple of issues. The two monitors have different resolutions, so right now the displays are mirrored and the display on the high-res laptop monitor takes up only a quarter of the screen. Can you suggest a fix for this? Thanks.

❯ xrandr --listmonitors
Monitors: 2
0: +HDMI-0 1920/598x1080/336+0+0 HDMI-0
1: +eDP-1-1 3840/344x2160/193+0+0 eDP-1-1

Since you are using
I3
Try arandr
And also
There autorandr

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/autorandr/
See if that helps

2 Likes

I was able to get the display issue fixed by using arandr. I also installed autorandr and will look into how to set it up to autodetect the external monitor. I mostly run the laptop plugged in, but I will check to see how battery life is affected with the nvidia graphics always on.

Thanks for all your help.

1 Like

Please, m-i-s-100 ! :wink:
by post #8 :slight_smile: