How to troubleshoot polkit issues?

I think I’m having issues with polkit, and I’m not sure how to troubleshoot this.

After a recent clean reinstall (EOS + KDE Plasma) I fail authenticating nearly 100% of the times a GUI application asks for my password. Note, it’s only nearly 100%, sometimes it works. On the command line sudo and doas work as expected, no issues there.

Before all else: I’m not mistyping my password—greasy fingers or capslock are not the issue here. If I do mistype the password, I get a different error message. To illustrate, this is the error message after a mistyped password:

And this is this error message I see after succesfully typing my password, and still not being able to authenticate:

I’m not running into a faillock:

$ faillock
me:
When                Type  Source                                           Valid

And journalctl -u polkit reports these messages after failing authentication:

Apr 30 19:38:03 silverymoon polkitd[496]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:2 (system bus name :1.295, object path /org/kde/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
Apr 30 19:38:03 silverymoon polkitd[496]: Operator of unix-session:2 FAILED to authenticate to gain authorization for action org.fedoraproject.FirewallD1.all for system-bus-name::1.296 [/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/firewall-config] (owned by unix-user:me)
Apr 30 19:38:04 silverymoon polkitd[496]: Registered Authentication Agent for unix-session:2 (system bus name :1.301 [/usr/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1], object path /org/kde/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)
Apr 30 19:38:37 silverymoon polkitd[496]: Operator of unix-session:2 FAILED to authenticate to gain authorization for action org.fedoraproject.FirewallD1.all for system-bus-name::1.302 [/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/firewall-config] (owned by unix-user:me)
Apr 30 19:38:37 silverymoon polkitd[496]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:2 (system bus name :1.301, object path /org/kde/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
Apr 30 19:38:38 silverymoon polkitd[496]: Registered Authentication Agent for unix-session:2 (system bus name :1.307 [/usr/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1], object path /org/kde/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)

The first 3 lines were logged after correctly typing my password, the last 3 lines after mistyping it. Besides the order of ‘disconnecting from bus’ and failing to authenticate, I don’t see differences.

What else can I check?

This is a bug in polkit or qtbase, see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=485407 https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=485937

This now seems fixed