How to switch from Antergos to EndevourOS

i do like graphical package search on a nice looking GUI like pamac.
But it is a good choice to not have it enabled per default.
We do give you kalu to inform about updates for both Repositories and AUR, and it can update the system easy…

A newbie would use pamac and will not know what it is doing exactly, not knowing if you install a not official supported program from AUR can cause many issues, you can see this at Antergos Forum…

We can create a community Repository including stuff like pamac, and guide newbies to use tools like this in the right way.

@judd welcome on board!

2 Likes

if you use makepkg -si it will be installed using pacman, and so it will be included inside pacman database, if you use native linux way to install then not, and it is also not recommended to so under arch based systems.

2 Likes

just at Antergos Forum just ( :wink: ) providing detailed howtos on how to remove Antergos stuff:

It do look like that Antergos is not installable anymore, buildserver is down.

1 Like

i also use personally PKGBROWSER :slight_smile: so to look intoo aur and pacman repo’s sometime usefull. :slight_smile: personal i am not intoo packagemanagers that basicly replaces pacman. Pamac is also a different beast. but if you like what not. its linux afteral :slight_smile:

Now that the first stable release has appeared, the question arises. How to easily migrate from installed Antegos Linux to EndevourOs?

How To:

done it like this: (before Antergos was gone offline!)

–> tested again with Antergos openbox install, and it works like a charm…

• keep exactly the lineup from top to bottom, or it will fail in the middle!

• let commands run till the end, special on the keyring stuff, if it will be interrupted, you will have screwed pacman!

• this is only a lineup how you can do this and no officially supported method! it can leave stuff and will need you watching and knowing/get knowledged what you are doing!

yay -Syu
reboot

moving antergos at the bottom of pacman.conf
save the file :wink:
yay -Syu

getting a list of all packages from antergos repository:
pacman -Sl antergos > antergos-packages.txt what will give a file looking like this:

antergos n1 1.5.0-3
antergos nord-dircolors 0.1.1-2
antergos nord-gnome-terminal 0.1.0-1
antergos nord-konsole 0.1.0-1
antergos nord-termite 0.2.0-1
antergos nord-xfce-terminal 0.1.0-1
antergos numix-frost-themes 3.6.6-1 [installed
antergos numix-icon-theme 1:18.07.17-1 [installed]
antergos numix-icon-theme-circle 1:19.02.07-1 [installed]
antergos numix-icon-theme-square 2:19.02.07-1 [installed]

builds latest yay from aur:
yay -S aur/yay

now start uninstalling from the list all packages marked as installed, but NOT YAY!!! (yay from aur will be listed as antergos package)

like so:
sudo pacman -R numix-frost-themes numix-icon-theme....

comment antergos repo inside pacman.conf
save the file
update db

yay -Syy
yay -Syu

getting mirrorlist and keyring:

wget https://github.com/endeavouros-team/mirrors/releases/download/mirror2/endeavouros-keyring-1-4-any.pkg.tar.xz
wget https://github.com/endeavouros-team/mirrors/releases/download/mirror2/endeavouros-mirrorlist-1-10-any.pkg.tar.xz

sudo pacman -U endeavouros-keyring-1-4-any.pkg.tar.xz

sudo pacman -U endeavouros-mirrorlist-1-10-any.pkg.tar.xz

adding EndeavourOS at the end of the file:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

[endeavouros]
SigLevel = PackageRequired
Include = /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist
save the file :wink:

• Be sure to only add the repo to pacman.conf after you installed mirrorlist and keyring, otherwise pacman will stop working.
  • If you did it wrong, comment the repo at pacman.conf, install mirrorlist and keyring, then uncomment the repo at pacman.conf and so on.
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux endeavouros
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Syy

change lightdm greeter:

keep in mind to change lightdm greeter to something available as the antergos one will e uninstalled (if you do so before)
you can use lightdm-gtk-greeter instead:

sudo pacman -S lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
change the line:

greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2k-greeter

to fit the new greeter:

greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

save the file …

fix os-release file:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/endeavouros-team/archiso-offlineinstaller/master/airootfs/etc/os-release
sudo cp os-release /etc/os-release

install grub theme:
sudo pacman -S grub2-theme-endeavouros

now edit two line inside:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="EndeavourOS"
GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt"

update grub:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Restart your system, be in good spirits, think of something beautiful and hope that everything worked out!

8 Likes

Help!

wget https://github.com/endeavouros-team/repository/releases/download/repository/endeavouros-keyring-1-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

Gives a 404 :frowning:

keyring is updated
wget https://github.com/endeavouros-team/repository/releases/download/repository/endeavouros-keyring-1-2-any.pkg.tar.xz

2 Likes

@fernandomaroto is creating a script and @joekamprad testing and adding all extra needed stuff.

You can run it on your own risk, as it do not track changes you have done to the system like changing DM (loginmanager) and if you have Numix Icons and theme enabled first change it will be more save…
i do 3 test-runs on a pure and updated Antergos VM and it was running like a charm!
Do not forget to add kalu to autostarting at your DE to get notified on updates!

we do not recommend to use this script at all! so sorry my friends just removed it here.

Due to the fact that Antergos worked with meta packages it is advisable to install the Archlinux groups for your desktop environment. Just visit the Archwiki and search for your DE. Best before reboot!

Check for orphans and dropped packages

After upgrading you may now have packages that are no longer needed or that are no longer in the official repositories.

Use pacman -Qtd to check for packages that were installed as a dependency but now, no other packages depend on them. If an orphaned package is still needed, it is recommended to change the installation reason to explicit. Otherwise, if the package is no longer needed, it can be removed.

Be aware that some packages not needed or not linked as a dependency anymore will be still left:

Arch say:

Additionally, some packages may no longer be in the remote repositories, but they still may be on your local system. To list all foreign packages use pacman -Qm . Note that this list will include packages that have been installed manually (e.g., from the AUR). To exclude packages that are (still) available on the AUR, use the ancient-packages tool (Lists installed packages no longer available (anywhere)):

To get a list of installed packages from AUR:
pacman -Qqem
to see if you may not want to uninstall them and you can compare with the output from:
pacman -Qm (all foreign packages installed)

ancient-packages will list leftovers you can manually uninstall them

$ ancient-packages
Information: Scanning for applicable packages ...

Information: Listing packages no longer available ...

Date          Size        Package                           Description
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Mär '18       2.152 k     numix-gtk-theme                   A flat and light theme with a modern look (GNOME, Openbox, Unity, Xfce)
4 Likes

Hi,
the link https://endeavour.kamprad.net/endeavour_archiso/move gives 403 (forbidden).

1 Like

seems my server do not like wgetting files… (is good also :wink: )
Downoad from the side over Browser is working…

https://endeavour.kamprad.net/endeavour_archiso/

1 Like

Hi,

first post here and I must say…
works like a charm. :+1:

3 Likes

That worked brilliantly for me. Many thanks for taking the time to make it

3 Likes

Worked fine for me here - old antergos was using kde

1 Like

I have run this script from @fernandomaroto on my existing Antergos installation. And it worked perfectly!

2 Likes

yes but leaves some unhandled actions, as DE are not handled by the meta packages from Antergos anymore, so better to reinstall DE as group packages from Archwiki after this, to do not get in trouble uninstalling needed packages to run the DE!

1 Like

Not my script, endeavour’s.
Yeah. I still think we should had released this as instructions, not a script; as long as we want endeavouros to teach “arch” not only using it without learning.

2 Likes

Yes but we do like scripts also :wink:
I can enhance the non script howto, and remove the script… But if one is switching to endeavouros it will be learning later on then. .

1 Like

Instructions are always the best source.
Scripts are always an interpretation of instructions.

3 Likes

wise words!

1 Like