How to switch between desktop environments?

I’m trying EndeavourOS on a virtual machine right now and have installed multiple desktop environments during the installation process to see which one I like better (KDE Plasma, GNOME, XFCE, etc).

The problem is that I can’t find the option to switch between DE’s because there is no login screen (during installation process, I picked the “login automatically” option).

I am currently on KDE Plasma desktop environment.

What happens if you logout? Does that take you to the DM(Login screen)?

2 Likes

Which display manager are you using? As dalto said logout and there should be an option on the login screen

2 Likes

When you log out:

• If you are using Gnome’s login screen (GDM), there will be an options button in the bottom right corner. Click it and you will be able to change between desktop environments.

• If you are using LightDM, there will be an icon of the desktop environment you are using (in your case KDE’s) over the password field. Click it and you will be able to change between desktop environments.

• If you are using KDE’s login screen, there will be the name of your desktop environment in the bottom left corner, click it and you will be able to change between desktop environments.

There are some other ones, too, but these are the ones I know.

2 Likes

You may have to disable the “login automatically” option in order to do this.

Pudge

5 Likes

Thanks guys, I finally found it after logging out.

I don’t know what display manager I am using.

Just out of curiosity, does changing the display manager impact performance?

VirtualBox_EndeavourOS_Apollo_18_04_2022_10_23_48

Looks like GDM…

2 Likes

It shouldn’t, it’s just a login manager.

2 Likes