How to Setup an Appimage as a Startup Application?

Hey everyone! So, I decided to give the Gnome variant of EndeavorOS a spin on a seperate drive and am actually liking it so far. I just have 1 small problem…there’s this Appimage that I like to use called “SuperPaper” wich is a wallpaper changer that lets you set a seperate wallpaper for each monitor on a dual monitor setup, and lets you switch between wallpapers in a slideshow format. I normally set this Appimage to run at startup so i don’t have to fuss with manually launching it each time i reboot…but i can’t find the option to do so in gnome. Gnome Tweaks has an option to set startup applications, but it will not let me select appimages, and Gnome doesn’t seem to have a setting to do this by default, atleast as far as I can tell. Am I just overlooking it maybe?

Not familiar enough with Gnome, but you should have an autostart folder in ~/.config/autostart. If you do, you should just have to create a .desktop file and put it in there.

I use the normal install version of superpaper, here’s my .desktop file for it in autostart:

[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Utility;
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=
Exec=/home/jiibus/.local/bin/superpaper
GenericName[en_US]=Multi-monitor wallpaper manager
GenericName=Multi-monitor wallpaper manager
Icon=superpaper
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=Superpaper
Name=Superpaper
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
Version=1.0
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Change the Exec line to point it to where you have the AppImage.

2 Likes

facepalms I didn’t even consider installing it the normal way, because everytime i tried on Debian/Ubuntu based distro’s it always failed for me so I just went with the Appimage and used that. Turns out that the process is much simpler on Arch…just typed in yay -S superpaper and it installed all of the dependencies and was up and running in under a minute. I was able to set it as a startup application in Gnome Tweaks tool now, and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the suggested Appimage fix though, i will keep that in mind if i ever come across another appimage that i want to run at startup! ^^

4 Likes

:hugs:

1 Like