How to postpone Gnome update?

When I run yay I get following output:

endeavouros is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra                                      1736,3 KiB  3,34 MiB/s 00:01 [----------------------------------------] 100%
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: mutter and mutter-vrr are in conflict. Remove mutter-vrr? [y/N]

Since Gnome is able to be updated, mutter is as well I assume.

I want to have mutter-vrr, but if I update Gnome, it needs to go away.

Is there a way for me to ignore everything regarding Gnome, so that I can update all other packages, and leave mutter-vrr as it is until it gets upgraded to higher version?

I tried adding following in pacman.conf, but it hadn’t worked:

IgnorePkg   = mutter
IgnoreGroup = gnome

There is no safe way to partially upgrade your system.

You could add all the gnome related packages to ignorepkg in /etc/pacman.conf but that is not something I would recommend. That is a good way to break your system.

That being said, are you sure that is the issue here? That looks like a package conflict. Are you sure it is due to it not being updated? What is trying to pull mutter in? Is something explicitly look for mutter >= 43?

I am not sure. Gnome by itself doesn’t have VRR support. So I had to install mutter-vrr package form AUR to get the support working.

During that installation I had to remove mutter (same conflict as in screenshot above - only difference was that I got asked to remove mutter, and not mutter-vrr like now), and replace it with mutter-vrr.

Since mutter is Gnome’s main display manager, I assume that Gnome by default wants to install it again due to version upgrade (42 → 43).

So basically best option is to remove mutter-vrr now, update my system fully, and install mutter-vrr when it gets updated to Gnome 43?

That is certainly best if you can live with VRR support in the meantime.

1 Like

The maintainer for the mutter-vrr package has said they will be updating it as soon as they can, but it will take some time since they’ve got a lot of work and little time available to get it all done. No ETA, but the dev is aware of it being out of date and unable to support Gnome 43 currently.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.