How to make Welcome App open my terminal of choice

Greetings lovely community,

I run Gnome DE, and you might think that therefore I would used Gnome-Terminal, but I actually quite prefer Tilix as my terminal of choice. I do have both installed as well as Xterm (though I don’t think I ever use this one), and sometimes I do use the Welcome App from time to time to run an update and to check the pacdiff & meld. However, whenever I run these, the Welcome App will always open Gnome-Terminal, when I’d rather it’d open Tilix. I’ve looked through the EndeavourOS wiki here:

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/endeavouros-tools/welcome/2021/03/

Screenshot from 2021-12-29 17-22-31

It mentions changing EOS_YAD_TERMINAL but for me it isn’t quite clear how exactly I should be doing this. Am I supposed to edit a vaule in :

/usr/share/endeavouros/scripts/eos-script-lib-yad

or in :

/etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf

And what all exactly do I need to change? I’m a little bit confused myself at the moment exactly what to change. All I’d like to do is make the Welcome App open Tilix first instead of Gnome-Terminal which is currently it’s default. If this is possible, please do let me know what I need to make it happen. Thanks for any help, it’s always much appreciated!

Edit: Here’s my current configuration of the two outputs I mentioned above if that’s helpful:

[scott@endeavourOS ~]$ sudo nano /etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf

GNU nano 6.0                                                                     /etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf                                                                                
### Configuration file for eos-script-lib-yad.
###
### To enable any setting below, simply remove the starting '#' character
### on the appropriate line.

## Terminal program to be used by certain EndeavourOS packages
## like 'welcome' and 'eos-update-notifier'.
## Many popular terminals are supported. See a list of terminals known to be compatible
## in file /usr/share/endeavouros/scripts/eos-script-lib-yad, function eos_yad_terminal().
## If you have any of the listed terminals installed, EOS_YAD_TERMINAL need not be enabled.
## Then the programs will use the first available program in the list.
## Note: other than the listed terminals may or may not be compatible.
#
# EOS_YAD_TERMINAL="terminator"

## EOS_ROOTER configures the command for acquiring elevated privileges
## when running commands in terminal.
## Supported values:
##   "su"
##   "sudo"
##   "pkexec"
##   "su-c_wrapper"
## Still supported values, but deprecated and will be removed in the future:
##   "su -c"
##   "pkexec bash -c"
##   "sudo bash -c"
##   "/usr/bin/su -c"
##   "/usr/bin/pkexec bash -c"
##   "/usr/bin/sudo bash -c"
#
export EOS_ROOTER="su"

## EOS_WELCOME_CONNECTION_WARNING specifies whether you want to allow the warning window
## in the Welcome app about not being connected to the internet.
## Supported values are: "yes" or "no".
#
EOS_WELCOME_CONNECTION_WARNING=yes

## EOS_CONNECTION_CHECKER selects the way how an internet connection availability is checked.
## Supported values are: "ping" or "curl".
## Note: "ping" may have problems if you are behind a proxy, thus "curl" is the default.
#
EOS_CONNECTION_CHECKER="curl"

## EOS_WIFIDEV_CHECK specifies if we want to make some ad hoc checks that we have the right
## wifi card drivers installed. The checks are made in the Welcome app when using
## the button "Detect system issues".
## Supported values are "yes" or "no".
                                                                                      [ Read 131 lines ]
^G Help          ^O Write Out     ^W Where Is      ^K Cut           ^T Execute       ^C Location      M-U Undo         M-A Set Mark     M-] To Bracket   M-Q Previous     ^B Back
^X Exit          ^R Read File     ^\ Replace       ^U Paste         ^J Justify       ^/ Go To Line    M-E Redo         M-6 Copy         ^Q Where Was     M-W Next         ^F Forward
[scott@endeavourOS ~]$ sudo nano /usr/share/endeavouros/scripts/eos-script-lib-yad

GNU nano 6.0                                                           /usr/share/endeavouros/scripts/eos-script-lib-yad                                                                     
#!/bin/bash
#
# EndeavourOS bash scripts "library". Functions using 'yad'.
#
# - ALL FUNCTIONS HERE START WITH "eos_yad_" AND ARE EXPORTED.
# - NO GLOBAL VARIABLES ARE USED NOR PROVIDED.
#
# User MUST declare the following exports in the *using* bash code:
#
# export -f eos_yad
# export -f eos_yad_terminal
# export -f eos_yad_check_internet_connection
# export -f eos_yad_GetArgVal
# export -f eos_yad_RunCmdTermBash
# export -f eos_yad_problem
# export -f eos_yad_DIE
# export -f eos_yad_WARN
#
# export -f eos_yad__detectDE
# export -f eos_yad_GetDesktopName
# export -f eos_GetArch
# export -f eos_select_browser
# export -f eos_yad_nothing_todo
#
# The two last functions above do not use yad.

source /etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf      # for EOS_ROOTER and other configs

export EOS_WICON=/usr/share/endeavouros/EndeavourOS-icon.png
export EOS_YAD_STARTER_CMD="/usr/bin/yad --window-icon=$EOS_WICON"

eos_yad() {
    GDK_BACKEND=x11 $EOS_YAD_STARTER_CMD "$@" | grep -v "^WINDOW DECORATIONS RELOADED$"
    return ${PIPESTATUS[0]}
}
#export -f eos_yad

translations_dir=/usr/share/endeavouros/scripts  # needed in translations.bash
source $translations_dir/translations.bash || {
    echo "$translations_dir/translations.bash not found!" >&2
    exit 1
}

eos_GetArch() {
    local arch="$(/usr/bin/uname -m)"
    case "$arch" in
        armv7* | aarch64) arch=armv7h ;;
    esac
                                                                                      [ Read 615 lines ]
^G Help          ^O Write Out     ^W Where Is      ^K Cut           ^T Execute       ^C Location      M-U Undo         M-A Set Mark     M-] To Bracket   M-Q Previous     ^B Back
^X Exit          ^R Read File     ^\ Replace       ^U Paste         ^J Justify       ^/ Go To Line    M-E Redo         M-6 Copy         ^Q Where Was     M-W Next         ^F Forward
1 Like

/etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf contains the following settings for the using programs:

EOS_YAD_TERMINAL: name of the terminal program. With this you can force your favorite terminal to be used with the apps welcome and update notifier. But please note that it is possible that the terminal you select may not be compatible with the way the above programs use it, especially if it is not on the list of compatible terminals. By default this is commented out, and one of the supported terminals is used.

Looks like it should be in /etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf.
Hopfully Tilix is “compatible with the way the above programs use it, especially if it is not on the list of compatible terminals”

I am on an Arch box currently so I can’t check the said file. Would you mind posting its content here?

Edit: Ah, you did post it while I was typing :sweat_smile:

According to my sudo nano /usr/share/endeavouros/scripts/eos-script-lib-yad file, it says Tilix is supported:

# Show a terminal that is capable of supporting option -e properly. Empty if not found.
    # Requires: yad
    #
    # These terminal programs are known not to work with this program:
    #     - putty
    # The following terminals are known to work:
    local suitable_terminals=(
        xfce4-terminal
        konsole
        gnome-terminal
        mate-terminal
        lxterminal
        deepin-terminal
        terminator
        qterminal
        alacritty
        tilix
        termite
        xterm
        kitty
        terminology
        sakura

I’m just wondering what/where do I change to make it use Tilix

1 Like

That looks good!
Tilix looks like to be supported :partying_face:

In /etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf

# EOS_YAD_TERMINAL="terminator"

This seems to be the relevant line.
Try:
EOS_YAD_TERMINAL="tilix"
and see if it works.

6 Likes

@pebcak That did it, thanks a million. Now take your solution check mark :white_check_mark: and enjoy the rest of your evening while I go eat some birthday cake :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Great! I’m glad you got it working!
I couldn’t have done it without your help!
You pointed me to all the relevant info!
And thanks for the :white_check_mark:! I would be lying if I said it won’t boost your selfconfident :blush: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:yum:
Enjoy the birthday party! And congrats to whomever the party is for!

3 Likes

LOL :sweat_smile: :rofl:

And that’d be my birthday cake :wink:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Scott!
:gift: :birthday: :fireworks: :partying_face:

1 Like

Glad I could help you help me also. And thanks for the wishes mate, about to head out to a hockey game, should be fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Birthday treats for Scotty_Trees! :broccoli: :broccoli: :broccoli:` :grin:

1 Like

I knew this would come back to bite me in the broccoli one day! And thanks mate! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Sounds like fun! Enjoy the game!
:ice_hockey:

1 Like

Happy Birthday! I hope you get more presents than just @pebcak 's help!

Pudge

2 Likes

Don’t worry, birthday wishes from you has now made my night complete! :smiley: :cake:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Scotty! :birthday: :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Thanks @manuel! I’m all outta cake, but feel free to help yourself to some ice cream before it’s all gone :ice_cream:

2 Likes

Thanks for asking this question!

BTW, putting export EOS_YAD_TERMINAL="tilix" in ~/.bashrc works as well.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.