How to make module parameters persistent?

Hello,
is there a possibility to assign a parameter to a kernel module at boot, i need to set snd_hda_intel power_safe=0, but it gets lost on every reboot, made a config file in /etc/modprobe.d but i think i am on the wrong way with that.
thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Perhaps you could try adding snd_hda_intel power_safe=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and update grub afterwards:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Edit:

there is a typo: safe >> save

1 Like

yeah thanks, fixed the typo, but it dont works also. :frowning:

You mean adding it to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT didn’t work?

By the way, when you say:

could you explain what you exactly put in the file?

sure

/etc/modprobe.d/snd_hda_intel.conf
content was:

options snd_hda_intel power_save=0
options snd_hda_intel power_save _controller=N

1 Like

Thanks!

To my knowledge the above should have taken care of the issue. Perhaps we are missing a minor step here. I am afraid I couldn’t take this any further. Please wait for input from more advanced co-forumers.

I think you did this wrong? Is this related to the popping sound issue? The entries should be in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

Pops when starting and stopping playback

Some modules (e.g. snd_ac97_codec and snd_hda_intel) can power off your sound card when it is not used. This can make an audible noise (like a crack/pop/scratch) when turning on/off your sound card. Sometimes even when moving the volume slider or opening and closing windows (KDE4). If you find this annoying, try modinfo your_module and look for a module option that adjusts or disables this feature.

For example, to disable the power saving mode for the snd_hda_intel module, add to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

You may also need to disable power saving for the audio card controller:

options snd_hda_intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

yes, its related, and it was my first solution, its from the arch wiki right ?. but there is anything that overrides this setting, or it don’t getting parsed. but i cant figure out what it is, or what i am doing wrong.

You did this file /etc/modprobe.d/snd_hda_intel.conf

You are supposed to add the entries to this file.

/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

options snd_hda_intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

Did you modinfo (your module) to see what it shows for module options? Also?

like i said, i did it the first time exactly like the arch wiki, i know the modinfo of that module pretty well, because i have the sound problem on every distribution. if i do modprobe -c | grep intel_hda_intel. the option shows up with 0. but at the end of the day. /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save is always 1 after reboot.

Try this in /etc/pulse/default.pa comment out this line

load-module module-suspend-on-idle
2 Likes

looks like its another solution for that sound problem

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s the questions that gets to the answer. :slightly_smiling_face: