How to install Prepros?

Hi,

For my work I need prepros and I found it in AUR repo => prepros-bin but when I try to install it I get a lot of errors:

error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirrors.niyawe.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirrors.niyawe.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.pkgbuild.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.pkgbuild.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.chaoticum.net : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.chaoticum.net : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from phinau.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from phinau.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.luzea.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.luzea.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from archlinux.thaller.ws : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from archlinux.thaller.ws : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from de.arch.mirror.kescher.at : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from de.arch.mirror.kescher.at : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'glib2-docs-2.70.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from archmirror.it : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-setuptools-1:59.1.1-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from archmirror.it : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
error: target not found: intltool
error: target not found: docbook-xml
error: target not found: docbook-xsl
error: target not found: glib2-docs
error: target not found: python-lxml
error: target not found: python-appdirs
error: target not found: python-more-itertools
error: target not found: python-ordered-set
error: target not found: python-setuptools
error: target not found: python-pygments
error: target not found: python-anytree
error: target not found: gtk-doc
error: target not found: python-markupsafe
error: target not found: python-beaker
error: target not found: python-mako
error: target not found: gobject-introspection
error: target not found: autoconf-archive
error: target not found: yelp-xsl
error: target not found: itstool
error: target not found: mallard-ducktype
error: target not found: yelp-tools
error: target not found: gnome-common
 -> error installing repo packages

I turned to prepros support and they said that arch linux is not supported. If I’m not mistaken you can install any linux app on every distro. Prepros under download has .deb package which works fine on ubuntu. Is there a way to convert that .deb to something endeavour OS will reckognize?

Thanx for help

Those errors are coming from the repo packages.

Did you update your system before installing? If not, that is probably your problem. Update and try again.

You are probably getting 404 errors because the versions in the repos has changed. We could tell more with the full output from the command.

If there is a .deb package you might be able to convert it with debtap also. I see the AUR package is flagged out of date. Not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Yes I did update before trying to intall it.

Yes there is a .deb package which works on Ubuntu when I tested it.

I can download it here: https://prepros.io/downloads

Those errors don’t seem to be from the AUR package. Can you share the full output from:

yay -Syu prepos-bin

Using debtap should be a last resort. It often causes more problems than it solves.

hm, now somehow I managed to install it but it took couple of minutes to do it. Two times I was asked to coose A for ALL, ab for ABORT, I for INSTALLED … and some other options. I didn’t understood what exactly was that and I don’t remember what I selected. Now on the last install I choose A for all and it took a long time but at the end Prepross was installed. I did this on my test installation, soon I plan to try it on my main.

Thanx

Err…you really should read and understand things before selecting them manually.

If I was guessing, one prompt probably asked if you wanted to review the PKGBUILD and the other probably asked if you wanted to cleanbuild? yay is configurable so it depends on your settings what you get asked.

Those errors in your first post have nothing to do with installing prepos-bin. It looks like it was failing to install the dependencies which are normal repo packages.

404 errors in that situation are typically caused by your pacman databases being outdated. They can also be caused by a bad mirror but that is less common

I retry it on virtual box and first selection was:

There are 2 providers available for gconf:
1 = gconf / 2 = gconf-gtk2 => I choosed 1

then I was ask to remove make dependencies after install and I choosed YES

Then I got to that weird question: Diffs to show?
with selection: [N]one / [A]ll / [Ab]ort / [I]nstalled / [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)

What is this selection?? I choosed Installed … then I was asked if I want to proceed with installation

Instllation outputed a lot of text on multiple pages but at the end it was sucesfully installed.

What is that Diffs to show? … If I choosed All, installation opened a file in nano I think… in green color :slight_smile: … I tried just type :q to get out but then Istallation didin’t completed and I had to repeat.

This happens when there is more than one package that can fulfill a dependency. When in doubt, choose 1.

Make dependencies are the software needed to build the package. You can save space by removing them but next time the package updates you will need to install them again. This is purely a personal preference.

Showing diffs will show you the differences between the AUR packages over time. An important piece of information here is that AUR packages aren’t actually packages. They are instructions and files needed to build the package on your machine. When you review diffs, you will see what parts of those instructions changed. It is very useful when you are updating packages already installed. Usually when a package is updated there are only a couple parts of it that change, the checksums and the version. When you look at a diff and see more of it changing than that, it is a trigger that you might want to review those changes in more detail.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.