How to install plasma-desktop on fresh EOS install

Hopefully there is none of that in a clean install. :cowboy_hat_face:

Ainā€™t that the truth on a new ranch! :cowboy_hat_face: :laughing:

1 Like

Couldnā€™t got a bunch of error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.telepoint.bg : The requested URL returned error: 404

Full Terminal output
[juris@juris-aspiree1571 ~]$ sudo pacman -S kscreen
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) qt5-sensors-5.15.2-1  kscreen-5.22.3-1

Total Download Size:   0,23 MiB
Total Installed Size:  1,82 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.telepoint.bg : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.telepoint.bg : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from archlinux.thaller.ws : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from archlinux.thaller.ws : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.pseudoform.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.pkgbuild.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.cspacehostings.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.cspacehostings.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from america.mirror.pkgbuild.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.lty.me : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'kscreen-5.22.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.lty.me : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[juris@juris-aspiree1571 ~]$

Whats wrong now?

Either your network is down again or your system needs updating.

Try sudo pacman -Syu kscreen

2 Likes

Thanks, that worked.

But why? I installed a few hours ago fresh system. Does every time I get 404 error I should instantly go full system upgrade?

P.S. Needed restart to actually get Display Configuration tab to show up.

Because, apparently, that package was updated on your mirror in the last few hours. When that happens, the old package is removed.

Also, on rolling release systems like EOS you should always update before you install software.

@dalto Do you know what package is sound icon on taskbar?
I cannot change my output sound. Itā€™s coming from laptop speakers but I need to set it up to come from monitor speakers.

Try plasma-pa

You probably also want plasma-nm which is network manager applet.

1 Like

Yes, got the Audio tab on System Settings. Changed to monitor speakers.

But didnā€™t get the icon on taskbar. I guess that is different packages there I could choose how loud each application is, how loud is my microphone etc.

Did you logout and login again?

Ohh, yes that got the icon. I noticed many things in Plasma work after restart.