How To: Install Nvidia Drivers for MX150?

Greetings lovely EndeavourOS community,

I’m still currently testing and running EndeavourOS Gnome in Boxes on PopOS (so this is not urgent, more out of curiosity and being prepared when I’m ready), but I had a few questions in regards to the best recommended way to getting the proprietary nvidia drivers installed for when I finally do the OS installation. For background, my experience installing nvidia on other distros has been relatively straightforward and dare I say easy. On Solus, I simply run their homegrown DoFlicky program, it picks up my hardware, and installs one of the various nvidia drivers from their repos that matches it. With PopOS, they have two .isos one for AMD and one for nvidia, which includes the proprietary drivers, so that one essentially is ready to go from the beginning. I know Arch-based distros you have to work at a little bit to get everything up and running and that’s totally fine with me, I just want to make sure I do it the right way for my hardware.

I have a laptop: Acer Aspire E 15 E5-576G-5762 from 2017 or 18, so it’s not the newest and latest. It has Intel Core i5-8250U CPU, 16GB RAM, and the graphics card is a hybrid (which can be a pain in the you-know-what in the Linux world :stuck_out_tongue:) which is the Nvidia GeForce MX150 with 2GB memory, so I do have a Geforce graphics card as well as Intel Integrated graphics (something I don’t really want to use, I prefer the GeForce for most things). (** For Full Laptop Specs **)

I don’t know if these are relevant or help with my hybrid setup, but here are the following outputs I know come up frequently with this topic:

scott@pop-os:~$ lspci | grep -e VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
scott@pop-os:~$ lspci | grep -e 3D
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX150] (rev a1)
scott@pop-os:~$ lspci -k | grep -B2 "Kernel driver in use:" | grep -PA2 'VGA|Display|3D'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] UHD Graphics 620
	Kernel driver in use: i915
--
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX150] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] GP108M [GeForce MX150]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

To jump right into it, these are the questions I’d appreciate any answers to. Feel free to link me somewhere else if I missed something as I do try my best to search around before asking questions.

1. When booting up the EndeavourOS .iso, you can Boot EndeavourOS Default (x86_64) OR you can Boot EndeavourOS NVIDIA-NONFREE LATEST-CARDS NO-LEGACY. So for a Geforce MX150 (ideally I want nvidia proprietary drivers), which option should I choose? I’m not sure if my card is a “legacy” card or not, so it’s unclear to me which is the right approach.
  2. IF I have to boot in the EndeavourOS Default, what process must I do then to get proprietary nvidia drivers for an MX150? If I don’t need to do this, than this question may be ignored.
  3. IF I have to boot in the EndeavourOS NVIDIA_NONFREE, do the proprietary drivers install automatically or will I have to do any post installation for nvidia I wonder?
  4. Not a question but, IF by chance someone in the forums has the same laptop or graphics card setup as me, I’d appreciate any input into your experiences with this matter.
  5. I am aware of the EndeavourOS wiki “How to Enable Nvidia Optimus” ( Wiki Link #1 Here ), but I am wondering if this is a script run during the Live USB installation environment or done after post installation?
  6. I’m also aware of the “Nvidia Installer” wiki you have as well ( Wiki Link #2 Here ), so I’m curious which guide set up should I be using for the MX150 I wonder, this one or the one from the previous question above?

This laptop is the only machine I currently have; if I had another I would just throw caution to the wind and test and tinker all night, but since I do need a working laptop I have to prepare myself as much as I can. Like I’ve mentioned I have a GeForce MX150, and I’m not really sure if it falls into the Optimus category or Legacy category, but I can add that for my current PopOS I am using proprietary nvidia driver version 465.31 if that helps any and things work very well and its stable, no black screens or freezes ever, it just works!

I know some users may get a black screen when booting after installing the NONFREE, installation so if the option is to install the FREE part of EndeavourOS first, before doing some post installation after to get the proprietary drivers working let me know. Or perhaps I have that all backwards and you can safely ignore my insanity! But these are just a few things I am curious about before I install EndeavourOS. I appreciate any help, advice, links, or insights into this and look forward to any replies, thank you!

1.You don’t need legacy, so boot the “no-legacy” option.
2.You can install them during the installation procedure on EndeavourOS
3.Yes, but you still have to enable the nvidia drivers during the installation procedure
4.Don’t have any, sorry.
5.Download optimus-manager from Add/Remove(or pamac). You can install pamac by typing yay -S pamac.
6.Check point 2.

I highly recommend Optimus-Manager and it’s enabling scripts for your hybrid setup. I did the same thing and it works like a charm. Good luck! Gobble Gobble

The MX150 is not a legacy card and uses the latest Nvidia drivers.
I would boot on the nvidia nonfree and make sure you select and install Nvidia drivers during the online install process. Then you will have to install optimus-manahger as per the wiki.
Hopefully all goes well.

@TurkeyJohn @ricklinux Thanks for the replies, it definitely helps a bit to make me understand this better. I’m currently still on PopOS, but all my stuff is backed up, so I think I’ll just say screw it and install EndeavourOS on my laptop this weekend and just see how it goes! Hope “things just work” and I don’t break anything haha :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not super clear to me, but by booting up the EndeavourOS .iso, with the “Boot EndeavourOS NVIDIA-NONFREE LATEST-CARDS NO-LEGACY” option selected; If I boot from the NONFREE, does that install the nvidia proprietary drivers automatically for me or do I need to do any extra steps? I’d like to have “things just work” as much as possible, but I’m willing to dive in the terminal and tinker here and there if need be of course. Appreciate the replies.

It’s been a while since i installed on my nvidia. I think you still have to select nvidia in the online options. There should be a check box to select to install nvidia. You’ll know when you go to installl the desktop. Before there was a separate ISO only for Nvidia cards that wouldn’t boot on nouveau. Now it’s in the current ISO. So I’m pretty sure…but not 100% without trying it myself on my nvidia machine.

All I see is these that are related to video for the .iso NONFREE installer:

Screenshot from 2021-06-26 17-49-29

Not sure if I need all the xf86- video packages (.ie. xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-amdgpu,etc) stuff installed, but I checked that whole list and I didn’t see anything nvidia related. I have 3 more screenshots to show the rest of the base install packages, but I didn’t want to do overkill on the post, I just tried to stick with the relevant information. So I’m guessing maybe the installer doesn’t install the nvidia proprietary drivers maybe?

I think the nvidia drivers are automatically installed when you select that option at boot.

In theory, should should just be able to do the install as normal and then install optimus-manager after installation.

After that, you can run:

sudo systemctl enable --now optimus-manager

Thanks for the reply. After the install, is there a way to verify that nvidia drivers are installed? I use Gnome, so I have this flatpak called GreenwithEnvy that shows a host of info for my graphics card, like name, memory, GPU % used, etc. as well as shows the current driver installed that it’s using. Appreciate all of y’alls comments :slight_smile:

pacman -Qs nvidia

That command will show you which nvidia packages you have installed.

You can also run

inxi -Fxxxz

That will show you all the info and more.

The base package stays checked and you select the desktop you want to install. As said it should automatically install the nvidia drivers and then you install optimus-manager and enable it with the command given by @dalto in the above post.

@dalto Ah yeah I totally forgot about inxi, thank you. I’m in the process of making sure all my stuff is indeed backed up from things like software apps, to configs, to random data and settings, and currently checking most of my extensions will work in Gnome 40 (looks like only 3 of them won’t but they aren’t dealbreakers thankfully and adjusting the .json files didn’t help unfortunately), and once I get that all situated, I should be good to go to install EndeavourOS and enjoy the next couple hours just getting things all set up like the nerd that I am :stuck_out_tongue:

@ricklinux Sounds good mate, I’ll do just that!

I’ll report back here if I have any issues, follow ups or updates on my adventures, thanks again.

2 Likes