How to Install Deluge 1.3.15?

Hello Everyone,
I’m new to arch based distros, though have been using debian for a while now.

Deluge 2.XX via pacman works just fine, but due to compatability issues, I need to install Deluge 1.3.15 (last stable 1.XX version)
The thing is no matter what do, I always end up with some sort of error.

1. From the Arch wiki, I tried pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/d/deluge/deluge-1.3.15%2B18%2Bge050905b2-1-any.pkg.tar.xz from the AUR archive.

2. That initially didn’t work because I didn’t have python2-twisted.
    Now it seems to be a deprecated module, as I couldn’t fine it as well anywhere.
    Fortunatly there is a package on the AUR that seems to work. (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python2-twisted)

3. After that, the archive version, and subsequent AUR packages of Deluge 1.3.XX install fine. Trying to run though, I get:

[ERROR   ] 08:01:13 ui:171 No module named gobject
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/ui.py", line 152, in __init__
    from deluge.ui.gtkui.gtkui import GtkUI
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtkui/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from gtkui import start
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtkui/gtkui.py", line 37, in <module>
    import gobject
ImportError: No module named gobject
  1. Alright, all I need to install is gobject right? After both pip2 install pygobject and sudo pacman -S python2-gobject it seems I have it. (Added it for python3 just in case).
    Now running deluge:
[ERROR   ] 08:05:06 ui:171 No module named gobject
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtkui/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from gtkui import start
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtkui/gtkui.py", line 37, in <module>
    import gobject
[ERROR   ] 08:05:06 ui:172 There was an error whilst launching the request UI: gtk
[ERROR   ] 08:05:06 ui:173 Look at the traceback above for more information.

I… don’t know what to do. I’ve tried messing around with it, but nothing works.
The Snap and Flatpak versions all seem to only support v2.XX onwards
It used to work in Debian, so I’d think it’s possible to do so in Arch as well.
Any ideas?

You can’t install older packages on Arch-based distros. Since the distro rolls, the old packages won’t be compatible with the newer libraries.

Further, using pip on Arch-based distros isn’t supported when used with sudo, this will break future updates and package installs.

If there is no flatpak/snap/appimage, the only way you can do what to you are trying to do is to install deluge1 from AUR with

yay -Syu deluge1

That being said, it looks like it is reliant on a bunch of python2 packages which are all EOL and have been removed from the repos. Keeping that running on EOS or any Arch-based distro is going to be a house of cards. I don’t recommend it.

There are a lot of differences between EOS/Arch and Debian. Especially since the current version of Debian is very old.(A new version is releasing next month)

This really isn’t a good choice for running outdated software. It is a rolling distro where everything is constantly progressing.

You make a fair point. Unfortunately, this is necessary as of now, that’s why I’m even pursuing it.

I did try to install deluge1 initially, but I got Errors occurred, not packages were upgraded
Thing is, I can’t seem to find what the error is, it’s only in the beginning is there a small error message error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files), is there a way to debug this further?
This is the only package that does this, deluge-stable-git gives the posted issues.

Yes, share the full output of the command I posted.

I don’t know exactly what you want,so I’ve added the entire output to pastebin: https://pastebin.com/Td2b7c8H
(I removed some of the python2-twisted-git lines to make it fit under 512kb)

You need to remove the packages python-twisted and python2-twisted.

Then try again.

Yep that was the problem, after removing python2-twisted and python2-incremental, it installed just fine.
Now I’m at the final stage:

[ERROR   ] 08:53:22 ui:171 No module named gobject
    from gtkui import start
    import gobject
[ERROR   ] 08:53:22 ui:172 There was an error whilst launching the request UI: gtk
[ERROR   ] 08:53:22 ui:173 Look at the traceback above for more information.

Try yay -S python2-gobject2

Yup, that worked as well. The output now is:

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/crypto.py:14: CryptographyDeprecationWarning: Python 2 is no longer supported by the Python core team. Support for it is now deprecated in cryptography, and will be removed in the next release.
  from cryptography import utils, x509
[ERROR   ] 09:00:43 ui:171 No module named gtk
    from gtkui import start
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtkui/gtkui.py", line 50, in <module>
    reactor = gtk2reactor.install()
  File "/home/rinzler/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/gtk2reactor.py", line 99, in install
    reactor = Gtk2Reactor(useGtk)
  File "/home/rinzler/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/gtk2reactor.py", line 71, in __init__
    import gtk as _gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk
[ERROR   ] 09:00:43 ui:172 There was an error whilst launching the request UI: gtk
[ERROR   ] 09:00:43 ui:173 Look at the traceback above for more information.

yay doesn’t seem to have the package we need, and pip2 install pygtk gives:

DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. pip 21.0 will drop support for Python 2.7 in January 2021. More details about Python 2 support in pip can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/development/release-process/#python-2-support pip 21.0 will remove support for this functionality.
Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
Collecting pygtk
  Using cached pygtk-2.24.0.tar.bz2 (2.4 MB)
    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
     command: /usr/bin/python2 -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'/tmp/pip-install-w9yPjI/pygtk/setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'/tmp/pip-install-w9yPjI/pygtk/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-cnc7mk
         cwd: /tmp/pip-install-w9yPjI/pygtk/
    Complete output (4 lines):
    * Building PyGTK using distutils is only supported on windows. *
    * To build PyGTK in a supported way, read the INSTALL file.    *
    ----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.

While I don’t know which INSTALL file, am I going to have to build on Windows and copy it over?

Please stop trying to use pip/pip2 to solve your problems. That isn’t the right way to handle it on an Arch-based distro.

The package you need is probably pygtk, yay -S pygtk

1 Like

You probably need to install all the optional dependencies for the gtk client.

Use yay -Si deluge1 and install all the optional dependencies listed there.

That worked!
All I need to do is install libtorrent.

Many, many thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Apologies for making basic mistakes, learnt a thing or two today :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem.

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.