How to get rid of Discover notifier?

Is there a way to disable Discover in plasma not showing notification for new updates?

I just got rid of discover altogether. sudo pacman -Rdd discover.

1 Like

This was my solution as well.

1 Like

I use pamac-aur-git optionally and find discover not that useful.

1 Like

You can remove packagekit-qt5 which will make discover unable to work with repo packages but will still leave it available for the other functions.

pacman -Rdd is fairly dangerous. There should be no reason to have to use it with discover.

2 Likes

Well that is what i was told to use to remove discover because it is part of a meta package. :thinking: Otherwise it takes a bunch of other stuff with it. I have used it to remove discover a number of times and not had an issue. :man_shrugging:

Edit: Besides i like living dangerous. :rofl:

1 Like

If you want to remove part of a meta-package, you can just remove the meta package. Removing a meta-package won’t hurt anything and won’t remove anything else. The only thing you may have to do is convert some dependencies to be explicitly installed.

There is no reason to use a meta-package if you don’t want all of it to remain installed. Also, if the meta package is ever updated I am pretty sure it will re-install discover.

2 Likes

Well you can’t remove it all because look what’s in it.

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/plasma-meta/

Edit: I don’t think discover is being installed anymore on EndeavourOS anyway which is good as i just reinstalled plasma last night.

1 Like

There is nothing in a meta package.

If you don’t believe me, try it:

sudo pacman -R plasma-meta

The reason to use to use a meta-package is that you want to enforce all the components remaining installed as they change. In your case, you explicitly don’t want that.

You would be better off using the plasma group instead of the meta package.

2 Likes

This was all installed originally. I didn’t install anything. I just removed it because some of the stuff doesn’t show up in discover so i find it doesn’t work well. Now it’s not being installed so i don’t have to remove it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Yes…i do believe you. :grin:

1 Like

I remove Discover like you suggesteded. No problem so far!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I have wanted to remove KTorrent and Discover forever but was afraid to allow the removal of the plasma-meta package.

1 Like

Can you explain why pacman -Rdd is better than pacman -Rsun which is my ‘purge’ alias?

Basically one doesn’t check for any dependencies (to avoid inadvertant cascading removals) and the other tries for a more complete removal, with dependencies and related files included, but hopefully restricted to relevant files only.

The worth of each is user defined - so research your choice! do you need the disk space? etc etc…:grin:

2 Likes

The n just indicates to remove config files. It can be combined with any combination of pacman -R.

pacman -Rdd ignores dependencies completely. It basically rips a package out of the ecosystem without any concern for what depends on it. Since dependencies are usually there for a reason, using -Rdd should be avoided in general use. The most common use case for using -Rdd is some type of emergency rescue when something is broken and use to forcibly update something with dependencies. I would advise avoiding this command unless you have a lot of knowledge of what you are doing.

pacman -Rsu removes a package and then recursively removes that packages dependencies unless they are a required dependency of another package.

If you want to avoid cascading removals, you should just use pacman -R.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Luckily, I have only used the pacman -R on unwanted packages for the most part and never heard of the ‘double d’ option before finding it in the man pages. As is common, the information is there, but the possible consequences are NOT!

Of course, there is another way to operate, which I have made use of before :grin: Reinstall without the offending package in the first place! As simple as taking it out of the ‘load up the system’ script for the lazy…

3 Likes