How to free up this space

Hey im dual booting this system and have 30 gb root partition and other 200gbs home partition so can i just freeup root partition and have all in home or something like that

gnome-shell-screenshot-br9xsd

Ah … No. Unless you want to have a nonbooting Enos.

And your /home is on an NTFS partition. Is that where your windows are installed at?

According to your partition table, it seems you have everything in one partition on your Linux system. That root partition might contain your /home as well. Unless you have done manual partitioning and mounted the NTFS to be your /home or something.

i have another for home

Either way, you can’t remove /root because that’s where the entire system is at. But you can move /home to your root though. Anyway, it’s good to have /home in its own partition.

im thinking to buy an another ssd for linux, im tierd with these problem but ik i create those problems myself

Hey, no worries we all have gone through that. That’s how we get to learn what to do and whatnot. It’s good if you can get a separate disk just for Linux or you can do a VM if you want to test things out.

yes and thanks for helping

2 Likes

No problem. We’re always here if you have any issues in future.

1 Like

For the time in between:
you can check installed applications you do not need … i am sure there will be such… as 30 GB for root is not easy to get full.
Do you have Games installed? the can take much space on /root device.
and check your packages cache from time to time it can grow huge if you try out a lot packages.
sudo ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ | wc -l → how many cached packages
du -sh /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ → used space

clean all packages, except the 3 most recent versions:
sudo paccache -r

1 Like

3173 pakages
4.5G /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
Sorry for repling late

You might be able to do it if you can access your fstab file(s) afterwards. Moving the partitions will change the UUIDs, so you’d need to change them in /etc/fstab afterwards. I think I’ve done it before, but I’m not sure.

I ordered an ssd just for dual booting now so i won’t get stuck with this