How to fix conflicts and issues when updating a system that hasn't been updated in months?

I’m active duty military and was deployed for a little bit, came back home and tried to make an update on my system, using yay -Syu and now I get a whole bunch of errors regarding corrupted ‘keys’, and keyring issues and I do not even know where to start fixing this.

1 Like

Can we see the errors you’re getting.

Jesus, I’m so sorry, I forgot to paste it. Here it is.

core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : Failed to connect to arch.mirror.square-r00t.net port 443 after 5262 ms: Connection timed out
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : Failed to connect to arch.mirror.square-r00t.net port 443 after 5201 ms: Connection timed out
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : Failed to connect to arch.mirror.square-r00t.net port 443 after 5202 ms: Connection timed out

then if I proceed, at the end I get something like this.

error: hashcat: signature from "Frederik Schwan <frederik.schwan@linux.com>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/hashcat-1:6.2.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] n
error: inetutils: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/inetutils-2.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: jre11-openjdk-headless: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/jre11-openjdk-headless-11.0.13.u8-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: jre11-openjdk: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/jre11-openjdk-11.0.13.u8-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: maven: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/maven-3.8.4-1-any.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: pcsclite: signature from "Frederik Schwan <frederik.schwan@linux.com>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pcsclite-1.9.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: vim-runtime: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/vim-runtime-8.2.4106-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: vim: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/vim-8.2.4106-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: wireshark-cli: signature from "Frederik Schwan <frederik.schwan@linux.com>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wireshark-cli-3.6.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: wireshark-qt: signature from "Frederik Schwan <frederik.schwan@linux.com>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wireshark-qt-3.6.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: wpscan: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wpscan-1:3.8.20-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
error installing repo packages

I just tried sudo pacman-keys --refresh-keys so I’m waiting for it to finish and will try the update again, but not sure if that will fix it.

You also might want to update your mirror list as well.

1 Like

Your mirror list needs to be updated. Using the Reflector Simple tool would be easier for you. Then do a sudo pacman Syu. It’s been tool long some mirrors might have gone offline since you have installed the distro.

2 Likes

I feel sooo silly! This fixed it. Easy fix.

You are NOT allowed to feel silly until you do it the same way again! Now you know one way out…

1 Like

Thank you for your service.

Pudge

2 Likes

It wasn’t needed this time (and often isn’t) - but there is a way to sidestep most possible issues with a long-term update. Arch maintains an archive of the updates that happen to the point where you can ‘retrieve’ the correct update status of a given date.

EndeavourOS has a utility to make using that system easy, called eos-shifttime. For a system that has been sitting, the safest update ‘procedure’ is to select a date ‘spacing’ that seems good (perhaps a month?) for trouble-free updating - then stepping through the past to the present a month at a time…

This would involve (for instance, given a 6 month period with no updates) selecting the date 5 months back (the system updates to to that point), then 4, then 3 then 2 and finally 1 - finishing off with a normal update. Just a way to avoid the potential (if rare) problems…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.