How to change option names in efibootmgr

So I’d like to change some names in efibootmgr and I’m not sure how to do it. Anyone know how?

Does this help?

man efibootmgr

I’ve already read through the efibootmgr manpage and I didn’t see anything for renaming

Solved it

Don’t think you can edit entries, you’d have to remove and re-create the efi boot entry with a different label.

Boot into the system you wish to edit first.

The either add another entry using efibootmgr

efibootmgr -c -L "[New Label]"

Or if using grub you can re-install it with a new label

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=[New-Label --recheck

Re-order your boot entries

sudo efibootmgr -o [order-list]

When happy remove the current boot entry with the unwanted label

efibootmgr -b [BootCurrent] -B

Be careful.

I actually just went to /boot/EFI and renamed my OS directory and then reinstalled grub on my partition and then efibootmgr added the new entry and I deleted the old. Works perfectly

This is kind of going around the tools provide for UEFI. Under efibootmgr isn’t it as @otherbarry shows?

-L | --label LABEL
              Boot manager display label (defaults to "Linux")

My understanding is -L can only be used in conjunction with -c when creating a boot entry.

Whenever I have done this I just deleted the old boot entry, re-install grub, and make sure boot order is okay.

But if not using grub then efibootmgr can be used to create an entry, which is why I included it.

No need to mess with any /boot/efi/EFI directory names.

I was just pointing out that the use of efibootmgr does allow you the option from my understanding of what you posted? I’m no expert but it seems to make sense. Isn’t that what you are saying above?

You could not edit a boot entry label with efibootmgr -L last time I tried it.

Be easier if you could, try it now and see if the functionality has changed.

I think you have to do it this way

efibootmgr -c -L "name"

Edit: I haven’t tried this is pure speculation. :thinking:

I have already posted this … twice.

efibootmgr --help
-c | --create         create new variable bootnum and add to bootorder

Why do you have to be so arrogant? I have agreed with you. I just said i haven’t tried it so I’m speculating about whether that’s how i think it works.

Yeah, because you read it twice.

:wink:

Reading it and knowing how it works is like reading the Arch wiki. It doesn’t assure me that what Ive read and what i think are actually how it will work. That’s what I meant about speculation. Even reading it twice. :wink:

1 Like

Sometimes a difference exists between being told something, and understanding it. The Archwiki is a great example of this! It seems always to be correct, but not necessarily clear… :grin:

Exactly the Arch wiki isn’t clear. It’s lots of information but it doesn’t tell you exactly what to do with the information in a lot of cases. It’s like it sifting through a box of documents that are all mixed up and the paper you need is in another box. There are 100 boxes. :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.