How to add Thunderbird to the main menu

I had version 91 installed in EOS. After upgrading it, I got this:

I have version 102 on my Mac, which is my production machine, so I thought it was related to that since I copied that profile to EOS.

Did not work. I downloaded 102 to EOS and extracted the .tar.bz2 file to /home/username. I changed the profile name in the new .thunderbird folder and launched Thunderbird from the /home/username/thunderbird folder. That worked, got me my settings and emails.

This as background info. My question is how can I add TB to the main start menu?

Hi,

You need a .desktop File in ~/.local/share/applications/

for more information read the wiki

1 Like

yay -S thunderbird-bin does what you did and what you want, without manual steps necessary

Right click on the Menu icon on the panel and select “configure”. Then click on “Open the menu editor” (or some similar wording). Add a new item/entry.

2 Likes

Once again, you helped me out. Thanks a lot for that :pray:

You are welcome!
Glad you got it sorted out!
:enos_flag:

1 Like

Sorry, I did not see your reply.

thunderbird-bin does not exist, there is thunderbird-60-bin, which relates to Tb-60, i.e. and ancient version.

There is nothing for TB-102 via pamac.

I did not see your reply either.

From a Linux point of view you suggestion maybe the correct one (though as a newbie I am not sure), but @pebcak’s suggestion is simpler, so I opted for that one.

Thanks for your input anyway.

1 Like

you’re right, pebcak’s solution is simpler. my solution is interesting if you want to learn the background and solve it manually.

it’s that package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/thunderbird-bin
and that’s why I said, yay -S it :wink:

1 Like

The advantage of the package version is that it is easy to update. Updating your current TB takes effort.

1 Like

OK, I was not aware of that. So, how come it is not listed under the Add/remove software (= pamac)?

BTW, I have left @pebcak’s reply as the Solution because it was a direct answer to my question regarding the manually downloaded version.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it makes more sense to do it that way, so I have now installed Tb as such.

1 Like

well, the Thunderbird available on their homepage as well as the thunderbird-bin package have the self-updater enabled just like the Windows version has.

Never used pamac, but don’t you have to enable AUR support manually in there? If it is already enabled, might be some sort of caching issue. yay does not use cache itself as far as I know, only the cache that the router or internet provider use.

I only use pamac to check if a package is available as I find the pamac route easier than the terminal route for that.

If a package is shown in Add/Remove Software (i.e. pamac), I install it via the terminal. And when you told me about Tb-102 being available as thunderbird-bin I was surprised because I had checked pamac before downloading Tb manually. So, I checked again, and it was not listed.

i use the terminal or the arch webpage for that (I have a browser open anytime anyway) - the terminal is the fastest way for me, no clickety click interface to hangle through there, and the terminal is only an F12 hit away (yakuake that is). Sometimes it is necessary to pacman -Ss X | grep -i TERM to filter the list though.

1 Like

Me too :grinning:

That is as much clickety click as going through Add/Remove Software/pamac.

Nevertheless, the AUR Packages webpage is more reliable, so from now on I will use that to. Thanks for the tip!! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.