How many NVME users have heatsinks for them?

I bought the fastest m.2 drives i could get at the time. I don’t go around bench marking stuff to see if it gets what the specs say but i look at specs. Just so I know what i’m buying and what it is capable of in theory!

More or less the same for me. I don’t generally bother with benchmarks, but I do pay attention to the specs when buying. However, I buy based more upon value. The only HIGH performance drive I have is the SX8200 Pro, and the only reason I got it was because it was on ebay new open box return for $100 free shipping, which was cheaper than value segment drives at the time outside the garbage scow performance drives (as far as NVMe goes, at least, still faster than SATA) (Intel 660P & Crucial P1).

I’m with you on that because the latest and greatest is always the most expensive. So i usually wait for deals after i know what i want.

Yeah, LOVE me a good deal. One of my happiest on current machines is I have a Pioneer APS SE20G 1TB drive (Phison E12 + BICS3, so physically a clone of DOZENS of other drives with just slightly different firmware) and I ended up paying only $90 brand new about 6 months ago because noone had heard of Pioneer making SSD’s (to be fair, I hadn’t either, but the pics clearly showed what controller & nand it used, so more than happy to take the chance, glad I did).

Yeah Pioneer and Toshiba also makes drives.

Kinda like how Polaroid makes a lot of seemingly random things these days. Pioneer + SSD seems odd but w.e lol

Yup, and they’re actually a really good drive. Clone of the Silicon Power P34A80/MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro/Corsair MP510/Inland Premium (microcenter house brand)/Sabrent Rocket 3, just to name a few!!

Probably all made by the same manufacturer and just rebranded for different companies. You can get real good drives cheap that way

1 Like

Yes I know about the EXT4 data corruption issue, it kept breaking my Linux Home user folder for some reason. I notified Paragon about it and they replied a while after that they investigated it and resolved the issue and I should retry it. That was late last year and I have not got around to testing it since.

I however was only going to use it for a GAMES NVMe purposes and not touch my Linux boot partition. If it doesn’t work out I’ll be forced to go back to NTFS under Linux for games (proton) as I still dual boot to windows to play some titles that don’t work under Linux or perform badly.

I recently bought this 2TB NVMe, seems like a good deal for an aussie (we get gouged here).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000983503688.html

Don’t recognize the NAND on there, but the SM2262EN controller certainly does bode well for it.

It’s Nanya …been around a long time.

nand, not dram. Does Nanya use a different marking for NAND then they do for DRAM?

Okay it’s DRAM… I just know Nanya been around.

OH, very familiar with Nanya. But unlike most things, DRAM choice doesn’t have THAT much of an affect on performance with SSD’s. The choice of whether to have it or not does (although even then, not as much as it did in the days of SATA, as host memory buffer is reasonably fast and effective), and the choice can have a big effect on the power efficiency of the drive, but strangely performance it really doesn’t seem to affect almost at all.

I’ve tried it around January this year and still ran into this issue.

The task was only submitted on 24-12-2019, so not sure if it was fixed in January or at all. Either way if more people submit tickets about the issue its likely to get more attention. My request number at paragon was #298021

Message received from Paragon on 28-3-2020 (my names not James :slight_smile: )

Dear James,

Please check if the described issue has been fixed in this service build: http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/support/Zick/Shared/Paragon-1050-PEU_WinInstallSN-5.1.1096.msi

Don’t forget to uninstall the existing version, then reboot your computer and install the newest version.

Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice Friday!

I have yet to reply or test this as I haven’t had my drive configured right (had no spare room to move files around and re-partition stuff).

Once my new 2TB NVMe turns up I will however be testing this build and if the issue crops up again I’ll submit a new ticket. The original ticket was more related to corruption of Home USER folders but that could also be the same thing as general corruption.