How is endeavouros differences in looks then distros like solus , garuda and/or ubuntu for budgie desktop style?

just to let you know the above English customized versions of OpenSuse I found were not in full English, they had another language in them with English included but broken. I just got around to testing them like the Cutefish one, also besides Manjaro having a Cutefish that’s in English, correct?

also, arcolinuxb has a cutefish version, I may download and check out its version before that Manjaro one. I am not exactly looking for a lite desktop, since my hardware can handle kde and gnome just fine, kind of prefer kde over gnome, gnome fine for a tablet or laptop, but for whatever reason I am not crazy about in on my desktop computer. looks like I was wrong arcolinuxb doesn’t seem to have a cutefish version it must of been a different distro I was thinking about checking out.

at this point, I am not crazy about opensuse versions of linux, I didn’t care for its package system seemed to have the size of items just a bit too big compared to arch linux. it gives me a bad taste in my mouth, etc… really didn’t like opensuse, and tumbleweed was the only one with both wifi working, there other version leap didn’t have the wifi drivers needed, but tumbleweed included them both. plus, its installer wanted to download 4GB to install it, from the live iso image of gnome for tumbleweed on my usb drive. I look into other live linux that not OpenSuse based, thanks :slight_smile:

thanks for explaining that solus, I was wondering why it never installed a bootloader from its installer to my system, I guess its no good for GPT and UEFI based systems… since its bootloader doesn’t install with its live installer iso image for solus, at least that’s my experience with it, since I had to hit F12 and select /dev/sdb Linux drive to boot it without a bootloader. I didn’t try manually installing the bootloader you say it has yet. but thanks for telling me about that. I use rufus again to put the Linux iso onto my USB drives. I know how some Linux distributions work, just not all, since I used Linux ubuntu and Debian and even suse Linux on and off, I have not had good experience with openSUSE before, I think I used it on one of my old computers that failed long again, so I have mix feels about it. also tried gentoo Linux before, I like it for a while but got tired of having to recompile all the gentoo packages from scratch, and the time it took to install everything on gentoo Linux. I didn’t write about gentoo because after a while I really didn’t like it since it took forever to get anything done on it. also, I like good interfaces for Linux, not lite ones, that require you to access menus by right clicking, I get why lite shells may work for older hardware, but it’s really not what I am looking for in a Linux distro. I also used to use after dark screensavers back when windows 98 or 95 could use them, and did use dos-based computers with monochrome monitor, the green text and black background displays on the Dos prompt, so yes, I been a computer user for a few years, born in the 1980s. so any computer stuff I experience been since then.

You mustn’t compare the sizes. The packaging (content of the packages) is often very different.

I don’t think that is true, I have done many Solus installs via UEFI.

That doesn’t “boot without a bootloader”. You are basically telling the UEFI firmware to boot the default bootloader from the chosen device.

I was talking about how packages work, like pacman vs gentoo as, apt-get sometimes the packages sizes do matter and how well the linux package system works.

I don’t see a bootloader, it was just either defaulting to the windows boot loader on /dev/sda or if I selected the drive information for /dev/sdb it would just load up the kernel and boot it, I don’t see any signs of a bootloader that has the option to dual boot in solus, there was no menu and no options for which kernel it was booting directly into Linux as far as I can tell from it. I understand how the boot flags is used by partition and like windows 10 and windows 11 it uses boot files into operating system, as in no boot manager is included, but the same can be said about how solus works if I am correct without a boot manager, it seemed to work by using boot flags on the /dev/sdb partitions, and then directly booting the kernel without a boot manager, that’s how I seen its process working on my desktop at the time that I tried it. just like how MS-DOS or IBM PC DOS which is older I think, had booted off of those old floppy discs to run stuff, before windows was a thing. when Eight In One
if I remember right was like Microsoft office or Apache OpenOffice is today but for text editor, spreadsheet, making cards but was used by dos, and stuff I can’t remember at this time, and dos games like The Oregon Trail. the old pc desktops, and laptops dos based only had very small hard drives in those computers if any hard drive at all. and the floppy drives were always like A:\ drive, and like today hard drives were C:\ and they used fdisk for partition just like today.

I have used gentoo, Debian, OpenSUSE they all seem to use grub as far as I can tell, again I am not crazy about gentoo or Red Hat based Linux package systems RPM files or whatever they are called, since they take longer to install and download their packages do seem bigger in size than say arch or ubuntu and seem to work less well with them, same can be said about openSUSE.

I am very picky about how the Package Management works in Linux, and prefer ones like arch and ubuntu systems for the most part.
below a few links on solus not working correctly with dual hard drive system, windows and Linux on different hard drive, why I put /dev/sda for windows and /dev/sdb for Linux in my information. the gigabyte has UEFI options, I don’t think there is any legacy UEFI options on my motherboard I think. first link is to the motherboard my desktop has. I think I shared this info before.

G1.Assassin 2 (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

https://www.reddit.com/r/SolusProject/comments/r074pj/missing_bootloader_on_my_solus_installation/

Installation Issues | Solus Help Center (getsol.us)

Just because it doesn’t show on the screen, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. By default, Solus is set not to display a menu. From the documentation:

By default, EFI installs will not show the boot menu and boot directly into Solus.

No, this is not correct. Solus uses the boot manager from clear linux which is basically systemd-boot on UEFI systems.

That being said, it is possible you did a Legacy/BIOS install instead of UEFI install.

That motherboard supports both Legacy/BIOS and UEFI.

This link just shows that it didn’t create an EFI entry. This doesn’t mean it didn’t install a boot manager.

This is totally backwards. Fedora and Redhat packages are smaller than Arch packages because they are more granular. Conversely, you need to download more packages because they are split-up more aggressively than Arch packages.

3 Likes

don’t know why but I always felt like Redhat and Fedora packages, were not so good compared to installing one from ubuntu or knoppix linux. and that for whatever reason the update system in ubuntu was better than Redhat’s upgrade system.

Well, doing your package management by feeling might not be the wisest strategy. :rofl:

4 Likes

192284-thelogicalindianfb1000x600-1

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.