How do you pronounce BTRFS?

So, how do you pronounce it, and why (if there’s any reason at all).

• Butter FS
  • Better FS
  • B-Tree FS
  • Just spell it letter by letter
  • Something else (comment below)

0 voters

1 Like

@anon49550872 I was editing the poll when you voted. Mind voting again? Sorry about this.

1 Like

SSD killer FS?

5 Likes

I pronounce it the same way I pronounce Gnome :melting_face:

7 Likes

Something something kernel 5.16.4.

1 Like

So, is that like GNU or like GIF?

Yes.

Both GNU and GIF have the same G.

4 Likes

Ext4 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Man, you should be working on that foreign accent :wink: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Us Brits always were crap at languages! Accents? Now that’s a whole different thing, I can do quite a few though I don’t pretend to be an impersonator by trade.

2 Likes

I just realized that you were a wordler long before Wordle became a thing :rofl:

3 Likes

I just realized there is no option for “I don’t actually speak to anyone who knows what btrfs is so I don’t have to pronounce it.”

11 Likes

WannabeZFS-FS?

:butter::crossed_fingers::man_facepalming:

4 Likes

I know you’re being funny, but do you seriously not have any pronunciation in your head while reading?

Interestingly, I read it “b-t-r-f-s” but I say it “butter fs”

bad transport route for system

In any case I align with

I recently started to pronounce it ButterFS because I love the band We Butter The Bread With Butter (WBTBWB). :wink:
Before that I used to call it B T R F S.

I tend to think of it the same I tend to spell it:
t-r-o-u-b-l-e.

Not sure how that’s pronounced! :grin:

2 Likes

Not that I am recommending it, but if you ever decide to learn the Middle Egyptian language (the language of hieroglyphs), that is exactly how every word is going to be – just a sequence of symbols, no sound in your mind for it. Some people are very troubled by it and just invent pronunciations (there is a whole conventional Egyptological pronunciation, which nobody strictly follows), but in reality, the pronunciation does not exist any more, it’s lost to time, the last native speaker of it died some 3000 years ago. But one can certainly learn a whole language, read it fairly fluently, without having any sound associated with the words.

4 Likes

Trubbel!

Or, if you are all fancy-like: True-blé or when you’re a low class pleb: Troobell.