How do you manage/track installed packages?

Currently, I am using yay and pamac (The Manjaro’s GUI frontend) together, because for the most part, GUI is easier to use (even if I know the terminal command, GUI makes it easier to see and navigate the information), but the GUI is buggy, so I have to use the terminal yay, too.

My problems are:

1. When I try to find a good application by installing a several candidates, it is annoying to remember what I have installed to uninstall them later.

2. When I install a package, pamac asks me if I want to install some of its optional dependencies. If I install them there, they get uninstalled together when I uninstall the main package. But if I chose no optional dependencies there, and after the main package is installed, if I open pamac and then click one of the dependencies to install it, it is treated as “explicitly installed” and that optional dependency does not get automatically uninstalled when the main package is uninstalled.

And more. All these means that after a long use of the OS, there can be a lot of never-used-any-more packages that I have lost track of, and it will just bloat the system. I wish the package managers had some sort of history feature, like a web browser to allow the user to easily find which packages installed on a calendar, but I could not find such feature.

The only alternative I could think of is creating my own calendar and manually write down the names of the packages I installed. It can be done, but this kind of feel stupid in this day and age.

Is there any better way?

pacseek is always a good option, it works way better than pamac. I never get tired of promoting it.
pacman -Qm will show you packages you have installed as another way of checking.

4 Likes

I am not sure how to help you with this one. Although, if they are GUI programs, you could find them in the menu.

Another alternative is to test in a VM so you don’t clutter up your install.

You should either install them as dependencies or convert them to dependencies after installation.

I think part of the challenge you have is that you are using pamac which only implements a portion of the functionality available to the package manager.

You can add --asdeps to pacman or yay to install something as a dependency.

To convert an already installed package you can use sudo pacman -D --asdeps packagname

2 Likes

Pacman in terminal or pacseek in terminal are by far your two top options by a long shot.

In general, the best advice is to avoid pamac at all costs, it’s bad with dependencies, you should never update with it since it also can’t do manual interventions. It breaks more often than an unmaintained Fiat since it’s designed for Manjaro and not Arch/Arch based distros.

It’s really good at searching for software if you really decide need something and scanning the repos though, so if you treat it like a search engine it may be a good fit for you. I always preferred just going right to the Arch website. Outside of that, it’s not worth your time.

1 Like

Actually, pamac does support manual intervention. It is packagekit-based front-ends(discover, gnome software, etc) that don’t support manual intervention.

2 Likes

That must be new a new feature as it didn’t use to. Even still, I wouldn’t trust it regardless. It’s proven track record is very poor at best, and it is surely not something to advocate outside of package searching.

/var/log/pacman.log should know the package history. There’s an app called pahis that helps browsing that log.

3 Likes

You’ve got a typo here. It should be pachis, not pahis

Alternatively, the command cat /var/log/pacman.log | grep "installed" should yield a more streamlined output of the logs.

1 Like

You’ve got a typo there. It should be pachist, not pachis :wink:.

Specifically the package name is pachist-git.

1 Like

Actually, the app @manuel referred to is indeed pahis
I have used many times.

It may not be installed by default, but see if

pacman -Q pahis

says it is installed or not. If not

sudo pacman -Syu pahis

will install it.

Pudge

4 Likes

I had just figured that out - it’s an EndeavourOS package (in the Endeavour repo). I don’t use Endeavour, but in the back of my mind I had this thought that there was a package named pahis that I’d read about somewhere.

1 Like

pacmanlogviewer

Use its filters to your heart’s content.

5 Likes

Great tool. Never heard of it. Thanks for pointing to.
It is always nice to see the additional help i discover here in the forum through you guys.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a nice tool for those not-so-terminal-centric moments :wink:

Glad you liked it!

I get along with the terminal better and better. Of course i don’t know all the commands by heart. I have to check my terminal-command-list more often :wink:

1 Like

Sure. Me too, I use terminal mostly for managing the system but once in a while I like something “more visual”. I use pamac for example once in a while for “window shopping”.

1 Like

That’s quiet understandable. I’m also more of a visual type. Luckily we have Discover for Window Shopping :smiley:

1 Like

With a nice GUI, you have pacmanlogviewer, it has some nice filters but is unable to search for explicit install.

pahis is using less for output, so searching is easy with a slash (/).

Apologies in advance for a dumb question, but does installing pamac in EOS mean you have access to Manjaro repos? And does it default to it on purpose?