How Do You Keep Resource Usage Low?

I do literally nothing to keep resources low. I just use my computer and it doesn’t seem to let me down. I rarely break over 6gb usage ever. Currently:

[derek@archlinuxkde ~]$ neofetch
                   -`                    derek@archlinuxkde 
                  .o+`                   ------------------ 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: 20BSCTO1WW ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.4.55-1-lts 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 1 day, 2 hours, 25 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1030 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.0.17 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 2560x1440 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Plasma 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: KWin 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Breeze 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: Breeze Dark [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Simply-White-Circles [Plasma], Simply-White-Circles [GTK2/3] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: konsole 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: Intel i7-5600U (4) @ 3.200GHz 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 1894MiB / 15893MiB 
 .`                                 `/

[derek@archlinuxkde ~]$ 

3 Likes

By eschewing all forms of personal land & sea mining, voting for like-minded pollies, harassing companies to get out of fossil fuels & stop being fossil fools, moving my superannuation to a fund manager with similar ethos & acceptable performance, buying only what i need not want, going vegetarian, not wasting food, minimising driving to the point of virtual abstinence, stop using my gas space heater in the mornings & now only at night [hence wear 42 layers of clothing]…

Oh, did you mean something else?

:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Today running Plasma with 4 gigs is totally possible and without lags.

With respect to lowering the indexation, it does not make much sense, really everyone knows how the bag fits, it is simple.

You have little ram and a modest processor, in addition to a little skill, so run a window manager like Openbox or a lightweight desktop like LXDE, maybe XFCE without much cosmetics.
Also some i3 or JWM, etc.

In the end, it’s like life itself, only you know which way to go.
:maté: :wink:

4 Likes

My resources are already quite limited. I use Xfce or LXQt desktop environment. I don’t run unnecessary services. I also close programs that have not been used for a long time.

1 Like

So, you know how the suit fits, that’s what I meant. :slight_smile:

Well, I know my limits, and I rarely wear a suit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you don’t have a lot of RAM, and if you also have a rotating hard disk or an old SSD, you should have a look at zram.

In my experience, it makes swapping much less “intrusive”. Although it might sound weird, on a 4G machine you can give zram 1G from your RAM. Don’t reduce your swappiness (vm.swappiness) value too much in that case, because you do want swap, especially when it’s faster than your storage devices are.

Arch Wiki has enough information to get you started.
IMO the easiest way is to use systemd-swap.

My old Core2Duo with 4G is rarely in use, but it still makes for a plesant experience for simple multi-tasks. No, you can’t open 100 tabs in Firefox, I’m afraid!

4 Likes

Weird, my 4Gb RAM / core2duo VAIO laptop actually can :upside_down_face:

Also without zram and with reduced swappiness (i know, i know, but that’s just how i roll :upside_down_face:), It may not be super-smooth, but 100 tabs is openable…

Openable, yes sure :slight_smile:
It wasn’t meant to be taken literally :wink:

1 Like

I bought more RAM and M.2 SSD.

I spent years doing what you’re doing and I got tired of it.

I spent about 220 US dollars so I don’t have to think about it. But there was a time where I didn’t have the resources to spend that money, so I cherish what I have now.

2 Likes

So I am the only one without swap ??
Manjaro taught me how swap can slow down system
So didn’t use one on EOS either .

1 Like

no swap for me :blush:

1 Like

:exploding_head:

Swap shouldn’t be slowing down anything… it should just be providing some extra headroom (and space for hibernation).

3 Likes

Really? Where? Please post or even PM me the link where that’s from. I’d be interested in reading it. I definitely have swap on both computers. . . Both computers are also laptops and I really enjoy hibernate. One has a partition, one I used a swapfile. I will probably redo the one with the partition eventually since it’s on an SSD and I’ve read it’s not great for the drive. But I can’t live without hibernate.

1 Like

I stopped using a swap partition yonks ago [i have 32 GB ram in Towie & 8 GB in Lappy], never bothered with a swap file, & only run systemd-swap to [try to] be one of the hoopy froods, not coz i actually need it.

4 Likes

You’re not alone. I had a swap partition in Manjaro and decided not to implement one in my EOS installation because most of the time it was not used.
Since now nearly 2 weeks with EOS I never reached 50% of my RAM. Seems I don’t need a swap ( partition or file)…and I never hibernate.

2 Likes

Every time I made a swap partition I regretted it. That was about 5-6 times before I got smarter and stopped doing it.

It was typically too big, wasting space on my drive, or, in one case, too small, not enough for my laptop to hibernate.

I only use swap files now (or nothing). They are much more flexible than partitions. Sure, it’s slightly more difficult to setup hibernation with swap files, but I only have one computer that I ever need hibernating, my laptop.

I don’t like systemd-swap very much, it does not seem to be very reliable. I think it’s only good as a “just in case” measure on systems that have plenty of RAM.

1 Like

Never swap for me (hate even possibility of disk thrashing), also this days with 32 Gb+ RAM you’ll never actually need it t.

2 Likes

no swap here i have 16Gb and i use tmpfs in ram.

2 Likes

Yes, on my main desktop with 32 GiB of RAM, I don’t use swap, either, there’s never any need for it. My other desktop has 16 GiB of RAM and I made a small (1 GiB) swap file for it, just in case, which is never used.

However, my laptop has only 5 GiB, so it needs swap (and I want it to be able to hibernate, so it needs swap for that, too). I gave it a 7 GiB swap file and it works fine.

1 Like