How do I run Plasma5 on Wayland?

This is kind of obvious, but here it is.

If all is well, and you use sddm as your desktop manager, you should be able to select x11 or wayland before logging in.

Pudge

Itā€™s working for me on KDE with sddm on amdgpu. I tried wayland way back and it was not good then. Iā€™m impressed now as it is working as well as on X11.

1 Like

Guys, thanks a lot for your help and assistance.
I have been able to run Plasma5 under wayland now.
Unfortunately I am not really statisfied with it, as I ran into some problems.
The size of all Plasma5 elements is much smaller.
Some application windows have a really strange, different size than under x11.
I cannot access my gpu settings anymore.
My gpu fan is spinning at maximum speed under wayland.
So I will stay with x11 for the moment.
J.

1 Like

Wayland is not yetTM ready,

Soonā€¦TM :rofl:

It seems to fine on my system at least as far as i can tell using amdgpu. The fans have sped up occasionally and i donā€™t know what triggered that but itā€™s not constant. Not sure what you mean all Plasma 5 elements are smaller? Application windows are okay on mine. Iā€™m sure itā€™s related to the Nvidia card so there may need to be some other configuration need to be done? What is cannot access my GPU settings. You mean under settings for the Nvidia card?

Well, everthing is smaller under wayland.
X11:

Wayland

Trying to open nvidia-settings in a terminal brings up the message ERROR: Unable to find display on any available system.
J.

Everything is working okay on my system except simple screen recorder using amdgpu. I do have nvidia on my other system but it has xfce currently installed otherwise i would play with it. :wink:

Kwin Wayland is in a much better shape on AMD and Intel than Nvidia. Plasma 5.21 improved overall Wayland support a lot, but itā€™s still spotty depending on the setup and used software.

Maybe check again in plasma 5.22 esp. since Nivida seems to be somewhat more Wayland supportive in the future too.

PS: Running Kwin Wayland on AMDGPU as default since the beginning of the year.

As I got Plasma5 under Wayland and Nvidia up and running now, I will certainly try it again in the future. But as ā€œdaily driverā€ it definitivey is not yet suitable.
J.