How do I install the Brave browser from the AUR? + experience with Brave

By the way, I was thinking about how to solve synchronization, which is now a basic requirement for browsers, by omitting Google or other online accounts.

I have done no research on that - I just let Firefox take care of it. It covers the phone (rare), the tablet (lots) and the many and varied distros I run. I got tired of trying to remember which system I was in when I bookmarked something! :laughing:

1 Like

Of course, in terms of syncing, I was thinking of chrome-based browsers. Firefox does this differently. I also use Palemoon browser anyway, this is a Firefox fork. I use https://app.getpocket.com to bookmark.

I try to limit (that’s NOT eliminate) my contact with Google where possible, so I assumed Firefox was reasonably Google-free…
:smile:

Closflares deal with Firefox is much better than the one they have with private customers.

The difference is that Brave has all the anonymous and privacy settings up front.
I am as private on brave with only one extension installed as with firefox and Chrome(ium) with 6 installed.

I like it, I will stick with it, it’s the best Chromium based browser I have found and quite frankly I am tired of Firefox’s jankiness.

2 Likes

Yeah, for anyone who sees this and was in the same situation as me you probably had brave not brave-bin installed. I just did:
yay -R brave
and then
yay -S brave-bin

Building brave was taking me ages and always ended with an error, so I checked today on the AUR website and it seems that brave is currently outdated and orphaned, so probably has to do with that.

this may be an unpopular opinion but I quite like Google sync. I use pretty much all Google services (maps, android, gmail) and they are essential, I am more concerned with search/web browsing history privacy and the only real fix for that is a vpn.

I am using Thorium, its a chromium fork that seems more optimized but importantly has google sync working.

If you add a few extensions like UBlock Origin, NoScript and a tab/session manager, pretty much all browsers perform the same IMO.