How do I configure the super/windows button to open up the start menu?

Hey guys, on XFCE, I was wondering if it was possible for me to configure the start menu to open up when I press the super/windows key?

In your shortcuts you can add it or the whisker menu (I personally like whisker a LOT more.

1 Like

You have to open xfce4-keyboard-settings (or, just called Keyboard if you type it in the whisker menu), then go to Applications Shortcut and press Add, after you type the name of command you want (in that case, it is xfce4-popup-whiskermenu), after that you’ll be prompted to press the key you want to activate the shortcut, just press the Windows Key and it’s done.

2 Likes

you may need

https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/xcape/

xcape -e ‘Super_L=Alt_L|F1;Super_R=Alt_L|F1’

@steanne’s answer above is correct.

Here’s a detailed tutorial. After following these instructions, you’ll observe the following:

• The Super keys (when pressed alone) open the Whisker menu, just as they do now.
  • Other keybindings with the Super key (like Super+E and Super+D) work as expected and do not open the Whisker menu.

First, install xcape:

sudo pacman -S xcape

Next, in the Session and Startup app, go to the Application Autostart tab and add this autostart task:

Name: xcape
Description: Map Super Keys to Alt+F1
Command: /usr/bin/xcape -e 'Super_L=Alt_L|F1;Super_R=Alt_L|F1'

Next, in the Keyboard app, go to the Application Shortcuts tab and remove both of the xfce4-popup-whiskermenu shortcuts (both Super R and Super L).

Still on the Application Shortcuts tab, add a new shortcut:

Command: xfce4-popup-whiskermenu

Then click OK. When prompted for the shortcut key, press Alt+F1.

Finally, log out and log in again, and you’re done.

3 Likes

You can accomplish this with Ksuperkey. It is in the AUR.

1 Like

don’t need complicating a lot this, just open the application “Keyboard” in the submenu, shortcut of applications and create new shortcut in the command : xfce4-popup-whiskermenu after press enter y press super_l (window) y ready.

2 Likes

The only nice thing about ksuperkey - if you only set the superkey to open the menu that way - any other keybinding/shortcuts you have won’t work anymore. You have to have a delay on it in xfce (I used to used xdotools to accomplish this). So, for instance I close windows with Ctrl+Super+X, so it wouldn’t work w/o a delay in xfce.

1 Like

Why is there a delay on xfce but not with ksuperkey?

That’s the opposite of what I said. And why? Ask the devs at xfce, I can’t speak for them.

Oh sorry I miss read.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.