How close are you to IT?

There are many members of our community. Who has a relationship with IT and what is it like? Are you an expert or just a hobbyist with Linux, or just a user? For example, because of my former workplace, I spent many years learning to use Linux, which is completely different from Windows. I don’t consider myself an expert in many respects, but I’m not a beginner either, rather I have average, sometimes advanced knowledge.

3 Likes

I have held a lot of positions related to Unix or Linux for many years. I have more or less gone back and forth between IT, security and software development for most of my career. It was my time spent learning Linux on my own that allowed me to easily transition to a Unix admin in the mid-90s.

6 Likes

This.
With a Linux knowledge which can at best be likened a Swiss :cheese:.

5 Likes

I have been worked with computers as a pure user for a little over 25 years. Partly earlier in jobs, but mainly privately as a hobby. Until about 6 years ago only Windows, since then only Linux. I never programmed, because I always thought that others could do it better anyway. I have the greatest respect for these people, but it won’t get into my old head anymore. In my private environment I am something like the family admin.

4 Likes

Very close, but in the rearview mirror! It would be fair to call my acquired knowledge somewhat outdated these days (apart from a certain familiarity with EnOS, of course). How much demand do you expect to see for tuning Netware systems? How about ‘on-the-fly’ dBase5 programs? VisualBasic6 integration with SQLServer for data input? You get the idea I’m sure…

Not sure how far bash/YAD and conky scripting will take me now either…

3 Likes

I fell in love with 'puters in the early 90s. Being a social worker, I self-tutored on office work beginning on an IBM 186’er with a proprietary IBM-DOS and typewheel-printer.

Later, I learned to “program” in html, learned to do some computer-graphics in the olden days with Paintshop and Photoshop, do webpages even on a corporate level (with Macromedia). As this went well, I decided to switch careers by doing a one-year master’s program in computer-science (MSc).

It was a blast… subsequently I worked as research assistant in human-centered interfaces for some time at the university, developing software for physically inhibited people among other things, like cooperative learning platforms (e-learning).

Yet, none of the “science” from back then is much relevant for me any longer today, because I did swing back to social work again, in later years.

Now I am completely “off duty” and all I do is following what’s happening on the Linux front, and that’s strictly for fun.

3 Likes

I am a cybersecurity consultant. We can work with whatever OS and tools we are comfortable with. During your first week you get told to install a VM to your liking. I obviously have a Linux one I use for all my tasks. Depending which part of the field you are in, you can’t get around not being comfortable with Linux. I did a degree in information security and we mostly worked with Linux. Before that, I did a systems and network administration diploma which is when I used Linux for the first time and started using it daily.

4 Likes

Started with Windows 3.1, ended with Linux/AIX. Once I got out from first-line support, I loved my time in IT. Not as good as being semi-retired, though!

3 Likes

I’ve tinkered and programmed computers since '83, starting on a Spectravideo 328.
Self-employed since 02, looking after the SMEs in this area. I give the customer what they want, tending to strongly sway them onto Linux and it’s trojan horses like Firefox / Tbird / Libreoffice.

3 Likes

When I read this, what experiences and abilities you all have, I feel like the one-eyed man among the enlightened … depressing …

1 Like

Don’t forget this: If thine eye be single, your whole body shall be full of light.”

And…

:wink:

3 Likes

At that time, in the second half of the nineties, I looked with amazement at those who already knew a lot about the system that was still mysterious to me as a Windows user and system administrator. At that time, UNIX was not as well known here as it was in the USA.

I’ve been pretty much on the same path as you. From the very beginning of the 2000s, I started to administer Windows machines in Novell (Who does this name mean something?) and Windows network. In the meantime, several people showed me Linux, so I got to know it as a hobby. At my workplace at the time, Windows workstations were preferred, but the network gateway already ran Linux, which of course had to be administered locally or remotely in a terminal.

1 Like

Macromedia, and not Photoshop, but Corel Draw, good old days. :slight_smile:

You mean the swiss army knife?

I remember this as well as the Quattro Pro. Nostalgia from the eighties and nineties.

As a system administrator, I consider security to be one of the most important. At that time, in the world of internal, local networks, there was less emphasis on it than when the use of the Internet was more widespread worldwide. I’ve seen many things, for example, the computer not starting after a monthly Windows update, files encoded by ransomware, or boot viruses in the past, etc.

1 Like

Or he means because the Swiss are generally considered to be a bit slow and more sophisticated … :thinking:

1 Like

There was also a DOS, or a versatile program, Norton Commander, I think these names mean something to many people.

Based on the comments so far, it seems that quite a few experienced people have gathered here in the EndeavorOS community. I think many of you are also familiar with the book The Cathedral and the Bazaar.