Hi-end Hi-Fi music player

I know Windoze and Apple has high-end music players but do we have something similar?

I’d like to play uncompressed music. Thanks,

Do you mean for local files or for streaming audio?

1 Like

hi @33Nicolas,

look the link here are some music players. my favorite player is Sayonara.

1 Like

Local, but streaming might be a good thing to know as well. Tx

Thanks, I heard much about Sayonara. I’ll give it a spin. Audirvana was nice.

1 Like

Well one alternative to Audirvana could be Roon, which is available in the AUR, though it does have some pricing options, so it’s not free per se: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/roonserver

I don’t know how you feel about music streaming services, but Spotify and/or Apple Music are decent enough for most people, though their high fidelity options are rolling out and may or may not be available in all markets. Spotify flatpak works well enough OR Cider is a linux app wrapper around Apple Music that’s rather interesting: https://cider.sh

2 Likes

Good to know. I didn’t know. I have a to of things here and some half-mastered albums I’d like to play again. If I can find some good cartridges for turntables that won’t break the bank.

Don’t overbuy your cartridge - depends on turntable capability AND preamp capability mostly. Best results when ‘matched’ - better in one place doesn’t help…!

BTW - most players on Linux can handle whatever res you throw at them - even simple ones like Audacious give good results on FLAC etc.

2 Likes

:grin:

1 Like

I use Strawberry :strawberry:

It’s a fork of Clementine, and enables you to choose the sound output, including direct to ALSA so you can play any high resolution tracks without downsampling.

2 Likes

Thanks, I know. You’re right. I worked decades in communication and can’t stand marketing. I have a decent turntable but any cartridge I buy is about $100. My preamp, amp, and speakers are perfect for what I have and need. Of course, if I won the lottery, there are half a million systems I would love to have :slight_smile:

Yes, most players render well on Linux. Audacious is good. I just to find something that really plays well. I have decent AKG cans and will upgrade soon hopefully… again.

I run strawberry as well ever since Clementine started to go wonky on me. It’s good. When I add the system equalizer on top of it, the sound quality goes down. Strawberry’s equalizer isn’t good enough. Maybe there is an extension I don’t know about. I’ll look into it.

Tidal is in the AUR and has better quality than spotify.

Unfortunately Tidal’s linux player doesn’t let you cast to other devices ( this can be got around through with pulseaudio-dlna ), but on a pair of focals I can hear the difference between tidal and spotify.

1 Like

I use quod libet, the kitchen sink of Linux music players, also very light on the cpu.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Qoud Libet in the past, but switched to Strawberry, because of the slightly better sound.

1 Like

me2 :strawberry:

After using only DeaDBeeF for many years and not wanting anything else, I also switched to the Strawberry last year. I will probably stay with it …

1 Like

I use DeaDBeeF most of the time but I also have Strawberry installed. DeaDBeeF has a much better equalizer if that is important. In it’s default settings it is quite ugly, so I would suggest going through all the settings and changing things to your liking. Once set up it’s very good. Strawberry is much more comprehensive though.

2 Likes

I don’t use EQ here - use a USB DAC and Grado headphones, and don’t hear the need for one :headphones:

Quod Libet is pretty good too, but for me… it… takes… ages… to… start… with a large library :snail: YMMV

1 Like

Here also: USB-DAC. As long as you (@33Nicolas) only use the onboard sound, it doesn’t matter which software player you use. It will always come out crap.

3 Likes

I felt the same when I opened it and felt it was a good thing. I’d rather they spend time tidying up coding and offering us stellar audio instead of eye-candy :slight_smile:

1 Like