Help with Nvidia drivers on Laptop dual graphics

Okay … so you are using optimus-manager on KDE?

API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.89.02 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
    Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2 direct-render: Yes

That’s what I’m assuming, I think it’s one of the packages included in asusctl.
I haven’t read everything it installs but it’s like an all in one build… But it shouldn’t have touched anything from nvidia-inst or permissions, I would say it in the repo.

You don’t need to assume. Just check the AUR package you have installed. :person_shrugging:

True, I have checked and no, optimus-manager isn´t installed on my system.

You called it Optimus so i just assumed you installed optimus-manager but if it is asusctl that’s even better because it’s specific to your hardware. I’m not that familiar with that package but it looks like it’s doing exactly what you need and want for switching graphics as well as some other things.

1 Like

Yes, Probably asusctl does something similar to what optimus-manager does because it lets me control the Mux-switch, as far as I know they have a discord in which a lots of people contribute to improve Linux support on Asus laptops, I guess I can’t complain in that regard. :laughing:

1 Like

Well, I have reinstalled the nvidia-inst build but the same thing happens.
So either it’s something else causing problems or it’s just my machine, it doesn’t really bother me so I’ll just leave it be.

But I’ll keep an eye out if it happens to anyone else :wink: .

Since you use this utility for GPU drivers control, you should ask at their support page about your issues. :person_shrugging:

Are you talking about the error message? So it actually won’t install the drivers and just gives the error is what you mean?

Well, the problem I’m reporting has nothing to do with the drivers. It’s a pci device error script that’s called every time I run nvidia-inst, so I thought it might affect the way the it works. I see that no, so I don’t see why report it to anyone, I have searched the internet and it seems that many people have this problem, so it must be a line of code lost somewhere that fails on some machines and that’s it.

1 Like

Yes, but the install worked with this:

So in my case I couldn’t use nvidia-inst.

Yes that’s what i thought you meant. Have you checked if there is a UEFI Firmware (Bios) update for your system? Your output shows this but the ASUS website shows a 2023 update. I can’t figure out the version number as it shows 313 if i have the correct laptop. The output is showing a different numbering system.

I know this is fairly new hardware. I would just check it out since you know your laptop model and keep an eye out for newer updates. This is important for Ryzen processors having the latest AGESA.

If you every decide you are going to update the (Bios) make sure you have the correct update and know how to flash it correctly otherwise you can bork your hardware.

Mobo: ASUSTeK model: GV601RM v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: GV601RM.500.U4 date: 10/28/2022
1 Like

Oh that must be the cause! I have updated my UEFI a few months after I bought my device because it enabled Usb 4.0.

It did not occur to me to continue updating because in all places where I read, people didn’t recommend updating the bios unless it was absolutely necessary and that scared the sh*t out of me.

The process itself seemed quite normal to me, so I am not against it.

Well I’m glad you are familiar with the process and have already done it once. You say the last update enable usb 4.0? Wow… I haven’t seen any usb 4.0 stuff but i knew it was coming. I would just keep an eye out and if there are updates see what they are for and if it is newer AGESA and or updates for AMD i would probably consider that.

1 Like

I assume those recommendation to avoid updating BIOS/firmware are meant for people who might not check that the fetched BIOS is meant exactly for your machine type and model. If it is not, then BIOS update may brick the machine, although I think the software that updates BIOS will prevent installing an incompatible version.

1 Like

Makes sense, I worried about something that done well improved my experience :disappointed_relieved:

In the end it didn’t work but oh well, at least I know I can update UEFI without problems.

(Yeah! the ports supported usb 4.0 (which would be equivalent to thunderbolt 3 if I remember correctly) but until recently it was released for all non-intel. I guess because Intel is already with Thunderbolt 4 but hey, better than nothing).

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.