Help with Nvidia drivers on Laptop dual graphics

I have Intel + Nvidia and Plasma defaults to integrated which is the intended behaviour by OP I guess.

Not sure what you mean by this?

I mean that you install drivers and you are done.

Nope, Amd for internal graphics.
I use Wayland because it gives me more screen configuration; resolutions, fractional scaling and autorotate.

(PS: I may not have understood what you were referring to, if its the case i’m sorry.)

Well you have to add plasma-wayland-session first of all to have Wayland. Then because it’s Nvidia and Wayland i changed a configuration in .environment for Firefox and also i think i had to make sure egl-wayland is installed if my memory serves me correctly.

1 Like

I don’t remember having to do anything extra apart from add wayland session. That’s probably something that asusctl took care of? it’s possible.
Besides I don’t use the default Firefox, I always install Waterfox so I don’t know what’s that about.

EGL is the old way of running Wayland which Nvidia replaced with GBM with a recent driver release.

Maybe…you are correct but on my system for some reason i had to do something or it didn’t boot up properly in Wayland. I’m not running Wayland right now so i would have to try it again and see what it was. The OP will also see what happens once the drivers are installed especially if it’s going to be run on the Nvidia card. If you are running on Intel then it makes no difference because the rendering isn’t being done by the Nvidia card.

@Pikaloid
Do you know if your laptop has settings in UEFI for setting or switching graphics from integrated, hybrid or dedicated? Maybe you can check that.

This has worked for me to update to the latest Nvidia drivers, the applications that asked me to update now work.

Anyway /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:08.3/label keeps giving me the permissions denied error so I don’t know what to do to fix it.

When does this error come up?

Edit: Is it just from running nvidia-inst? If you’ve already installed the drivers and it’s all working I wouldn’t be that concerned.

1 Like

Yes, its only nvidia-inst. If its only my machine then fair enough, but if I can do anything to report and give logs or anything I would like to help.
If isn’t a big deal for anyone, I’ll let it be. :sweat_smile:

Are you able to post your hardware that i asked for in the post above?

1 Like

Sure!

This looks like a fairly new product. Nice specs Btw! It is currently rendering with the onboard graphics.

API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.5 renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (rembrandt
LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.49 6.1.12-arch1-1) direct-render: Yes

Nvidia drivers are installed properly.

Device-1: NVIDIA GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: nvidia v: 525.89.02 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 525.xx+
    process: TSMC n7 (7nm) built: 2020-22 pcie: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 8
    link-max: lanes: 16 ports: active: none empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1,eDP-1
    bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2520 class-ID: 0300

I’m not sure if you checked the UEFI settings to see if it has settings for integrated, hybrid or dedicated graphics?

Are you running it on Wayland?

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Thx! And no, the UEFI don’t have any way for change the graphics but an AUR build does that automatically on my pc.

[pikaloid@FlowX16EndeavourOS ~]$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland

It’s Wayland, but I have installed Xorg and X11 in case I need them.

PS: This shoud be with dedicated graphics enabled

1 Like

That shows the same rendering on AMD. Are you using optimus-managerto switch?

API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.5 renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (rembrandt
LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.49 6.1.12-arch1-1) direct-render: Yes

Oh sure, that was with hybrid graphics, if I change the optimus mode it should be only nvidia.