Help with mkinitcpio

Hi, Im complete newbie when it comes to linux. I tried downloading drivers for nvidia (mine gpu is gtx-1050ti)
I followed a tutorial, did “sudo pacman -S nvidia” and then i was supposed to go to "sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
and remove “kms” from hooks there. After i entered mkinitcpio.conf, there was nothing, so i used yay command to download it and then removed kms from it.
Then i was supposed to type “sudo mkinitcpio -P”
but then i got alot of errors:

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: ‘default’
==> Using default configuration file: ‘/etc/mkinitcpio.conf’
→ -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: ‘/boot/vmlinuz-linux’
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: ‘fallback’
==> Using default configuration file: ‘/etc/mkinitcpio.conf’
→ -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: ‘/boot/vmlinuz-linux’

Please help
(when typing lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E “(VGA|3D)”
the gpu is still “nouveau” and its not nvidia)

1 Like

EnOS uses dracut by default not mkinitcpio. That is why mkinitcpio was not installed in your system.

Please remove it and have a look here for more info:

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/dracut/2022/12/
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/?s=nvidia

The tutorial may have been correct for a certain type of Arch installation.

EnOS uses a couple of defaults which may have not been taken into consideration by the author of the tutorial you used.

For EnOS specific issues, please consult this forum.

3 Likes

I followed the instructions and restarted my pc.
After logging in, my screen is black. I can see my cursor, and the welcome tab opened, so I’m able to enter my browser, but the thing is, there’s no taskbar, nothing, If I close my browser I wouldn’t be able to do anything. Help

Turns out, I had to change the desktop sesion from Wayland to X11 and it fixed everything.

1 Like

Great to hear that you found a way to resolve the issue!

Also, welcome to EnOS’ community @akmen!

:enos: :handshake:t5:

If you installed mkinitcpio, your system may be in a fairly broken state. You should have received a warning when you tried to do that that you were removing important packages.

You should fix that before the next kernel update or your install may become unbootable.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.