Help with Manual Partition

Hey guys, I’m facing issues on how to create manual partitions for my dual boot setup.
[Windows 10 is on SSD]
Details about system :
SSD - 45 GB free (Want to leave 20 GB for windows)
HDD - 800+ GB free
RAM - 8 GB
Partition scheme - MBR

So after having a lot of headache trying to figure out how to dual boot with MBR partition scheme, I did manage to replicate what I want in Vbox and successfully install EOS.

1. Are the partitions that I made correct ?
    [Photo below shows the partitions I made in Vbox]

2. Would having swap partition in SSD really make a difference in PC waking from hibernation ?

3. If I keep my bootloader in HDD, would update from windows still be able to break GRUB since both bootloaders are in separate disks ?

Here you go have a read about swap here:
https://itsfoss.com/swap-size/

Why is swap needed?

There are several reasons why you would need swap.

• If your system has RAM less than 1 GB, you must use swap as most applications would exhaust the RAM soon.
  • If your system uses resource heavy applications like video editors, it would be a good idea to use some swap space as your RAM may be exhausted here.
  • If you use hibernation, then you must add swap because the content of the RAM will be written to the swap partition. This also means that the swap size should be at least the size of RAM.
  • Avoid strange events like a program going nuts and eating RAM.
1 Like

Disregard my ramblings from this post. I see. you’re showing us just the linux partitioning in what you’ve already freed from windows. Since my brain is clearly not firing all cylinders right now I’ll let Ricklinux take over :stuck_out_tongue:

The first question is your system MBR or UEFI?

I guess partition scheme displayed on picture is from Virtual box.

1 Like

First of all 20 GB is the Minimum requirement for Windows 10 but as far as I’m concerned barely enough. Windows 11 requires 64 GB. :thinking:

Windows itself do not take 64 gb of space. They probably did it as minimum requirement so there is space for updates etc after installation. Compared to Windows 10, space occupied by OS is basically same.
If he already has installed Windows, he can leave Windows partition even with 10gb and it will continue to function normally by all means.

I’m just reporting what Microsoft deems the minimum requirements. I don’t consider the minimum requirements as being suitable for me.

This talks about windows 11 space requirements in detail. Not to mention that windows grows in size throughout its life. Particularly the side-by-side folder to maintain backward compatibility.
Though I guess it doesn’t really matter as he’s already got windows 10 installed it sounds like. I think he’s just looking for partitioning for linux in his free space…

2 Likes

MBR, and that is exactly why I struggled. The content I saw mostly was on installing EOS using GPT.

I should have clarified more about disk usage.
Basically my SSD is 120 GB, out of which only 111 can be utilized. Windows and it’s programs already take up around 66 GB and 45 GB is free.
I want to use only 30 GB at max for linux since I heard it is a good practice to not completely fill SSD.

Also a clarification on Windows, I will never upgrade to Win 11, it’s just that the PC is a family PC so I can’t uninstall it.

That makes more sense to me. So are you going to create a separate /home partition?

Yes, I have no plan whatsoever of upgrading to Win 11. The OS isn’t for me, but the reasons I want free space are :

1. since on a lot of forums, it was said SSD utilization should be 70-80%.
  2. It’s a family PC, I don’t want my parents to download something from internet and then deal with lack of storage.
  3. I’m unsure how much space would windows upgrades takes.
    [Talking about small regular updates that windows force down on PC rather than win 11]

Yes, because… being a noob I don’t know many alternatives xD
I just know I didn’t create a partition for it while installing mint and mint placed it inside root folder.

Thank you very much for sharing this with me.
I think I’ll probably allocate 10 GB in HDD.