Help with installing the system using VMWare Player

I’m not asking this for myself, but for another person — I saw this happening in another community I help to moderate, and maybe somebody can shed some light on what exactly was going on here.

So this person was using VMWare Player 17 to load the ISO in Windows and attempt to install it on a physical media. Been trying to succeed for about a week, he says. I understand how exceedingly silly it sounds, but this is what I encountered.

We eventually gave up on that and I convinced this person to use Ventoy, which finally worked after writing Ventoy to the device with a GUID Partition Table… which was basically the root of all these issues, because in VMWare Player the ISO would always function as a legacy boot device. Which is similar to an issue some may have when if using legacy boot and doing mixed boot modes; if selecting the port to boot from in a menu it would be legacy mode (BIOS / DOS) but if selecting the boot device itself it would be modern mode (UEFI / GPT).

So now the question; how to force EndeavourOS in VMWare Player to assume modern boot and have Calamares function as-expected to install for use in modern boot systems?

Not that I know how to resolve the issue. I am not sure if I completely understand the issue either :blush:

Is what you want to do is to launch the live iso in a virtual machine and then install the system on an actual, physical harddisk?

Does a virtual machime even have such a low level access to the physical devices in the host to be able to perform such an operation?

You could test for example to launch the partition manager in the live session in a virtual machine. Can you use it to perform disk operation on an actual physical disk connected to the host system?

I have never tried this myself but I doubt if it is possible at all. :thinking:

Yes.

Idk, but everywhere else I’ve looked at says the ISO needs to be modified for whatever it is this person was trying to do.

This I am not certain about either as I have par experience to you. All I know is this dude didn’t trust his USB flash device until i goaded him into doing so. Not sure why — he had a 64 GB device the whole time, tried to use Rufus for this and it failed so he went he VM route rather than seeking alternatives. Wild stuff.

You seem woefully unaware of how much people will take that as “Fighting words”.

In a time and age where many take their beliefs and opinions to be absolute truths written to the stone, any words from an skeptic (or agnostic at least) will most probably be regarded as “Fighting words” as you choose to call them.

What can I say: Oh, well … :sweat_smile:

Your Friend is a rare case that really doesn’t warrant the work it would take to do the things I suspect that one would have to do to get this to work.

But what if one does not have a flash USB device, yet also have an external USB media they either do not feel like shucking out to shove into their computer, or cannot use inside their machine at all due to lacking additional hardware? Because those are the kind of people this will service; the people who buy an external mass storage device from their local tech store without buying a smaller USB device to put the live image on.

(One could also use Ventoy on the portable device and install to their existing on-board meedia, but some people are very touchy about dual-booting with Windows and Linux on the same disk, either because of superstitious accounts of “Linux eating / conflicting with Windows” or treating the disk that boots Windows as sacred for any reason.)

1 Like

I use vmware workstation pro. The vmware player doesn’t seem to have the settings in options to set Bios or UEFI. Is it possible they can use vmware workstation instead of the player? vmware workstation pro install has the player included but i don’t use that.