Help with btrfs subvolumes

Hi all,

I am new here on the forum and first try with EndeavourOS KDE.
Atm really satisfied with it .

I did custom install with btrfs :

• fat32 boot/efi
  • / root
  • home
[marko@marko-hpenvyx360convertible13ar0xxx ~]$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
nvme0n1     259:0    0 476,9G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0 242,1G  0 part /var/log
└─nvme0n1p3 259:3    0 234,4G  0 part /home
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=61E5-F2E6                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=c57a7866-064b-4e3b-a4f1-4fb327ec6bde /              btrfs   subvol=/@,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag 0 1
UUID=c57a7866-064b-4e3b-a4f1-4fb327ec6bde /var/cache     btrfs   subvol=/@cache,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag 0 2
UUID=c57a7866-064b-4e3b-a4f1-4fb327ec6bde /var/log       btrfs   subvol=/@log,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag 0 2
UUID=73612514-e771-4996-812c-d1c3e7348519 /home          btrfs   defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag 0 2

Is that ok ?

What is the next step to make subvolumes ?

I found this :
btrfs subvolume create /path/to/subvolume

Any help how to proceed ?

Thanks

What are you wanting to do, specifically?

I know that for snapshots need subvolumes. At least for Snapper or Timeshift.

So I want to make snapshots :slight_smile:

Do you want to make snapshots, or do you want to use Timeshift or Snapper?

Use Timeshift

OK, so start here:

Then, if there’s something you don’t understand post back here.

1 Like

I searched about Timeshift and Snapper , seems that Timeshift is not more active anymore, Snapper is better and can use snapshots in grub :slight_smile:

They will both work, but if you prefer Snapper then make sure you check the Arch wiki page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Snapper

2 Likes

@Brtza

2 Likes

cool, thanks… This is really helpful :slight_smile:

But as I can see and understand, this is for automatic installation in Calamares…

Will do new fresh installation with those guides :slight_smile:

I’m not sure it’s possible to get a BTRFS setup right on the first go. There will be something that makes you think “ah… that should have been another subvolume”. I’m still not entirely sure of what happens when/if I need to restore a subvolume.

1 Like

I provided this because it works and it’s easy to quick copy & paste both encrypted or non encrypted set up. Although the Calamares installer can set Btrfs as the default file system I’m sure there is more to do. I don’t have enough knowledge in that area. Since i am using the Btrfs setup as per the wiki created by @2000 i can tell you it works well. I have installed it multiple times both encrypted & unencrypted with snapshots and timeshift.

1 Like

I followed this, but got some error…Used one copy-paste, so I did clean install with ext4 xD

I have followed the quick copy & paste method a number of times both encrypted and unencrypted and didn’t have any issues. Hard to say where or why your error happened. Could be hardware or a slight misstep in the process. :man_shrugging:

You could do an “erase and install” automatic installation with or without encryption etc. Have you seen this video tutorial by @joekamprad?

1 Like

But this doesn’t set up snap shots and timeshift in the process does it? For me with my lack of knowledge in setting it all up i just chose the quick and easy. :innocent:

If you just do as Joe does in the video (I did) Calamares will automatically set up a @home and @/ directories (and two more) meaning all you have to do is to install timeshift.

Then it works.

1 Like

And perhaps also grub-btrfs to get boot options for the snapshots in the Grub boot menu.

If you want of course.

Is it timeshift that actually does the snaps shots then? Or you can just use timeshift for another way?