Hello from Linux Noob

Hello new friends, I have been using EndeavourOS for about 10 days. I want to say hello and explain my Linux journey so far. I am a Windows 10 user who has been using WSL (with Ubuntu LTS) since October for my research. I got used to the command line over that time. On the day before Thanksgiving, I suddenly wanted to revive my old laptop [Lenovo Ideapad Z470 (2012)] which has been sitting in a corner of my apartment for 4 years.
Initially, I wanted something similar to Ubuntu because it would be similar to WSL. I found Elementary OS to my liking. Wiped my old Windows 7 and installed Elementary OS. Found the aesthetics (Mac OS like) to my liking. But my wifi connection was spotty and sometimes it didn’t even show up after login. Also, Elementary OS developers are into the GNOME philosophy of no easy customizations, so I couldn’t tweak many things even after downloading a tweaks app using a PPA.
I read more articles and watched more youtube videos to search for a 2nd OS to install alongside Elementary OS. Found TechHut’s video praising EndeavourOS and was immediately hooked. After a bit of struggle with grub and whatnot, got the dual boot working. Tried EndeavourOS with KDE plasma and was like wow this is so good. A few hours later I wanted to remove Elementary OS and just keep EndeavourOS. Went through the wiki before doing that and discovered the Btrfs configuration article which had snapshots using Timeshift. Imagine hearing you can just restore your system after tinkering and messing up with just the click of a button.
Got that working too and then wanted to experiment with different DEs. Got a bit of help from the community over the past two days on the cons of having multiple DEs and how to overcome them. The community here is very friendly and is very helpful. I feel very welcome here and hope to be a part of this community. Have learnt a lot of Linux over the last two weeks and hope to learn more from you guys.

sradjoker

Screenshot_20211208_151310

10 Likes

Welcome to the purple side of Linux. And more tolerant :wink: .

2 Likes

Welcome to Endeavouros forum . :enos_flag:

2 Likes

welcome and enjoy your stay here

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and EndeavourOS community.
Advice for dual booting is to use separate EFI partition for Linux, so that Windows updates won’t just delete Linux entry.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Purple neighborhood! :enos: :enos_flag: :rocketa_purple:

2 Likes

I was dual booting two Linux before on my old laptop. Not anymore. Also no EFI sadly. Was trying to set up rEFInd but didn’t work. Then realized it was legacy boot even though I bought it in 2012.
I am not dual booting on my daily driver. I use MATLAB, LABView, etc. so need Windows for sure.

Welcome to the forum! :enos_flag: :rocket:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :enos_flag: :clap:

2 Likes

Welcome @sradjoker

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @sradjoker :partying_face: :balloon: :tada: :enos_flag: :enos:

1 Like

Welcome to this amazing distro :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like