Hello endeavour-users

Modern styling? If I remember correctly - they don’t style anything. It’s as the devss of each project ship each respective DE. It’s the same you’ll get with Endeavour.

might be but i’m a little bit conservative. sparky is a nische as mageia too. that’s the reason why i was also suspicious with endeveour after antergos was quit. a os needs popularity and a bigger community to stay alive and i doubt that de’s as sparky or mageia do so.

Sparky has been around since 2011/2012 I believe.

Anyway - it was just a suggestion. It ships with nearly the same style as Endeavour, is based on Debian Stable or Testing - so opposite Endeavour. I thought it would be right up your alley since you’re looking at Endeavour and it’s a very similar project, just based on Deb/apt instead of Arch/pacman. That’s all.

Either way - let us know if you have questions! That’s what we’re here for!

2 Likes

thanks a lot, but i had to decide and limit the de’s to test. i was thinking for a longer time to flip to a different distro but always kept on manjaro. now i will flip and i think it’s better to test some more popular distros because there is a reason why people choose a de. my timetable is to copy all my personal datas to external drives, making a list of what i configured at my system over the years, thinking of different aspects (btrfs was already mentioned, i’m using ext4 for very long), and will make my decission under all these aspects. i always rejected changing a running system but now i do the cut and will figure out all aspects. that’s why i told myself to test intensive before flipping and running into the next desaster.

The only disaster you could run into would be to end up back with Windows …

3 Likes

Don’t even joke about that… :rofl:

3 Likes

BlackandwhitePortlyEel-size_restricted

1 Like

That’s right, because this is a very serious disease. I apologize, Sir! :innocent:

1 Like

thanks for the conversation, but it’s time to sleep for me.

GN8 at all

schlaf gut und willkommen

Hallo Ottfried, willkommen

Welcome to the forum @ottfried :enos: :enos_flag: :partying_face:

1 Like

Welcome @ottfried :wolf:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I’m glad you liked EndeavourOS at first glance, but that’s not surprising if you’ve been using Manjaro Linux for years. If it’s not a secret, will you tell me which of the other two Linux distributions you’d like to compare to EOS?

1 Like

no problem, i already did. it was mint and mx-linux but meanwhile i have only two candidates left. mx linux left the challenge and i will stay at a plasma or cinnammon gui.
mx is out of the race because it couldn’t install my dual-display in proper manner. it’s 2022 and this is a must, so i don’t spend any further moment to this distro. the only thing i have to give credit to mx linux are two pretty nice things:
a) if you boot up and you’re watching the system-logs it changes to a readable, bigger font-size that you don’t need a microscope. thumbs up, i wish other distros would also behave.
b) if you change hardwaresettings in the live-enviroment you can store it and force the distro to install it in the same manner. thumbs up again.
all-in it’s still a ancient installation, you have to setup your dual-display system manually after installation. this is a no-go in 2022.
actually eos and mint are my favorites and i have to give big credit to mint for implementing bluetooth-support ! my testing-candidates are a cheap-trust-keyboard, a apple-keyboard and the magic-mouse that is a must because i don’t want to use any other mouse again. everyone how knows the magic-mouse will agree to that. to the minor side of mint, it’s installing the nouveau-driver that is too slow and i don’t want it but they managed to install nouveau in the right manner what caused me always pain in the but at manjaro.
well that’s day 2 of my odysee and while i’m backing up all my personal files and setting before wiping off manjaro i have time for small-talk. i will test endeveaour and mint in the coming days with my real-hardware (not in a vm) to get a better conclusion. i really tempt to use endeavour because i used manjaro for so many years but mint is a very good competition and i have to say, the bluetooth support even in the live-iso is a really impressive invention.

1 Like

Just an FYI we don’t (and won’t) ship Bluetooth by default got security purposes.

It’s easy to setup after though. I also suggest wireplumber as well. This will help and you’ll havw Bluetooth in minutes.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/bluetooth/bluetooth/2021/03/

1 Like

hopefully, i’ll give it a try. but we’re living in 2022, what is the problem to install bluetooth and start it with the bluetooth-adapter in off-position. every user could decide if he/she wants to turn it on/off. To be clear mint does provide bluetooth in the live iso and in my opinion it is very helpful and needed that you are able to test all your hardware in a live-enviroment to make sure that it works. that’s the reason why a live-iso does exist, to test if everything does it’s job and i believe that it would be more modern to ask the user after testing in the real installation process if you want bluetooth enabled or not. you did that same amazing with my ethernet-adapter by inform while installation about problems that might occur and let the user decide which driver to use. that’s smart

Security is even more important in 2022 than it ever was abs many companies/security teams/IT departments/people agree Bluetooth can be a security issue. Endeavour is a base installation setup for you to finish building your own desktop. The goal is to not have things to uninstall after an installation, only install.

I don’t know if it’s on tht live iso or not? It’s been a while since I tried Bluetooth before installation was complete.

1 Like

nevertheless, the live-iso is a testing enviroment and that should support the user. that’s a big difference and it doesn’t make sense to install a system in real only to figure out that after real installation things aren’t able. if you can check this before installation by testing in a live-enviroment than this is smart and i appreciate that.

EndeavourOS follows Arch’s principle (it IS Arch) of being as minimalistic as possible after installation. Of course, there is always the possibility to add anything and everything sh… additionally if you need something. For me, for example, it is very pleasant NOT to have to disable or even uninstall Bluetooth first, since I don’t have any such devices and don’t want to acquire them (as well as any printer software). For me, it’s very pleasant that EOS doesn’t come with anything that makes it unnecessarily bloated. Just to understand why everything doesn’t come with ootb right away. The stark opposite of this would be eg Mint, but even that has a good rationale for existence. However, the target audience of Mint is again quite different than the target audience of Arch / EOS. :beers:

1 Like