Heads Up: libxml2>=2.9.12-6 update may require manual intervention

https://archlinux.org/news/libxml22912-6-update-may-require-manual-intervention/

:enos_flag:

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

I just updated and libxml2 (2.9.12-5) → 2.9.12-6 was one of the updates. But I did not get the errors mentioned.

Why would only some users see the error messages?

1 Like

I didn’t get the errors either.
Seemingly those with “untracked pyc files” will be getting these errors. How the “untracked pyc files” come about, I don’t really know. Hopefully more knowledgeable users will shed some light.

1 Like

So I’m in good company :smile:

1 Like

.pyc files contain the compiled bytecode of .py files.
Those are generated when some script/application imports the module (to speed up further invocations).

So if you are missing those files it means that there was no other application making use libxml2 (yet)…

4 Likes

Great!
Thank you so much for the explanation!

i do not fully get what package version is needed to get the error on updating… looks like the message is not giving that detail as it says only versions prior … but seems if you done regular updates the issue does not apply ?

I do not see BUG reports about this also:

I understood it like that you would get those error messages when updating to version 2.9.12-6 if the “untrackted pyc files” are present in the system through the use of some prior versions of libxml2 by
some script/application as explained by @moson. :thinking:

One case here: I'm unable to update my system

1 Like