Headphone Port Audio Issue After Update

Seems like after a recent kernel update to 6.9.7 and some updates to a bunch of audio packages, I’m having an issue where plugging in my headphones to the headphone jack results in strange behavior. The audio with my headphones plugged in is whisper quiet, but unplugged speaker audio sounds fine (they are using the same audio device: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio).

inxi output for context:

  Kernel: 6.9.7-arch1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 14.1.1
  Desktop: Hyprland v: 0.41.2 dm: N/A Distro: EndeavourOS base: Arch Linux
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 83E3 v: Yoga Pro 7 14AHP9
    serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 10 v: Yoga Pro 7 14AHP9
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0T76463 WIN
    serial: <superuser required> part-nu: LENOVO_MT_83E3_BU_idea_FM_Yoga Pro 7
    14AHP9 UEFI: LENOVO v: NCCN16WW date: 02/02/2024
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 52.7 Wh (69.3%) condition: 76.0/73.0 Wh (104.2%)
    volts: 16.2 min: 15.5 model: Celxpert L22C4PF4 serial: <filter>
    status: discharging
  Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics bits: 64
    type: MT MCP arch: Zen 4 rev: 2 cache: L1: 512 KiB L2: 8 MiB L3: 16 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 3609 high: 3793 min/max: N/A cores: 1: 3793 2: 1684
    3: 2966 4: 3793 5: 3793 6: 3793 7: 3793 8: 3793 9: 3793 10: 3793 11: 3793
    12: 3793 13: 3793 14: 3793 15: 3793 16: 3793 bogomips: 121423
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
  Device-1: NVIDIA GN20-P0-R-K2 [GeForce RTX 3050 6GB Laptop GPU]
    vendor: Lenovo driver: nvidia v: 555.58 arch: Ampere pcie: speed: 16 GT/s
    lanes: 8 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:25ac
  Device-2: AMD Phoenix3 vendor: Lenovo driver: amdgpu v: kernel
    arch: RDNA-3 pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 ports: active: eDP-1 empty: DP-1,
    DP-2, DP-3, DP-4, DP-5, DP-6, HDMI-A-1, Writeback-1 bus-ID: 63:00.0
    chip-ID: 1002:1900 temp: 39.0 C
  Device-3: Luxvisions Innotech Integrated RGB Camera driver: uvcvideo
    type: USB rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 3-1:2 chip-ID: 30c9:00c2
  Display: wayland server: X.org v: with: Xwayland v: 24.1.0
    compositor: Hyprland v: 0.41.2 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,nvidia
    dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu display-ID: 1
  Monitor-1: eDP-1 model: Lenovo 0x8ab1 res: 3072x1920 dpi: 250
    diag: 368mm (14.5")
  API: EGL v: 1.5 platforms: device: 0 drv: nvidia device: 2 drv: radeonsi
    device: 3 drv: swrast gbm: drv: nvidia surfaceless: drv: nvidia wayland:
    drv: radeonsi x11: drv: radeonsi inactive: device-1
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: nvidia mesa v: 555.58
    glx-v: 1.4 direct-render: yes renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 6GB Laptop
  Device-1: AMD Rembrandt Radeon High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16
    bus-ID: 63:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:1640
  Device-2: AMD ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor vendor: Lenovo
    driver: snd_pci_ps v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 63:00.5
    chip-ID: 1022:15e2
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 63:00.6 chip-ID: 1022:15e3
  API: ALSA v: k6.9.7-arch1-1 status: kernel-api
  Server-1: sndiod v: N/A status: off
  Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.22 status: off
  Server-3: PipeWire v: 1.2.0 status: active with: 1: pipewire-pulse
    status: active 2: wireplumber status: active 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8852CE PCIe 802.11ax Wireless Network vendor: Lenovo
    driver: rtw89_8852ce v: kernel pcie: speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 6000
    bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:c852
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-1: Realtek Bluetooth Radio driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB rev: 1.0
    speed: 12 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 1-5:2 chip-ID: 0bda:5852
  Report: btmgmt ID: hci0 rfk-id: 2 state: down bt-service: disabled
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: no address: N/A
  Local Storage: total: 953.87 GiB used: 141.87 GiB (14.9%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: MZVL21T0HCLR-00BL2
    size: 953.87 GiB speed: 63.2 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> temp: 39.9 C
  ID-1: / size: 773.8 GiB used: 141.69 GiB (18.3%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 256 MiB used: 189.6 MiB (74.0%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
  ID-3: /home size: 773.8 GiB used: 141.69 GiB (18.3%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
  ID-4: /var/log size: 773.8 GiB used: 141.69 GiB (18.3%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
  Alert: No swap data was found.
  System Temperatures: cpu: N/A mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (rpm): N/A
  Memory: total: 16 GiB note: est. available: 13.46 GiB used: 2.7 GiB (20.1%)
  Processes: 342 Power: uptime: 5m wakeups: 0 Init: systemd v: 256
    default: graphical
  Packages: pm: pacman pkgs: 1199 Compilers: gcc: 14.1.1 Shell: Zsh v: 5.9
    running-in: kitty inxi: 3.3.35

I found a temporary fix using alsamixer. The ‘bass speaker’ setting would be set to zero everytime I plug in my headphones, and raising it to 100 would result in normal sounding audio. Problem is I have to set this manually everytime I plug in headphones.

However, when booting into a live usb, I noticed that the alsamixer settings look different and my headphones would operate as normal. The headphone volume becomes a slider instead of a toggle and the bass speaker setting becomes a toggle. Not sure if its related and I’m not exactly sure whats caused the issue I’m having as I’m still fairly new.