Has anyone managed to install Microsoft Office 365 via wine?

Hi I have tried these methods to get Microsoft Office 365 to work but it will keep failing to work.

According to WineHq website it shows how to install office 365 https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=37735

Here is the list

Steps to install

1. Create 32 bit prefix

2. Add to registry DWORD "HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct2D/max_version_factory" with value "0"

3. Add to registry DWORD "HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/MaxVersionGL" with value "30002" (hexadecimal)

4. winetricks msxml6 riched20

5. Run installer downloaded from office.com

6. Copy AppvIsvSubsystems32.dll and C2R32.dll from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun" to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Client" and to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16"

7. Start using Office 365 !

So first I ran this

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/office winecfg

And I tried selecting Windows 7 and Windows 10.

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/office regedit

When it opens the registry editor, as according to step 2 and 3, I did added the DWORD’S in this way.

Step 2

Step 3

I don’t know if I am adding the DWORD’s correctly or not? By the way the Direct2D and Direct3D keys were not originally available, I had to create this manually.

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/office winetricks msxml6 riched20

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/office wine OfficeSetup (1).exe

So when I get here, it does run the installer.

however it seems like it opens two windows and it has a bit of a glitchy effect while installing.

And then when it goes to the next stage of the installation (I guess its kinda glitchy with missing text so I don’t exactly know but I notice its not using much disk and CPU usage as well as the terminal is not outputting new information.) it shows this screen

And nothing happens. I left it like this for quite some time and nothing changes. Did I configure the registry keys correctly?

BTW I use LibreOffice! I stay away from wine. It doesn’t play nice with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I really wish I can use LibreOffice, but with my documents (that was previously created on Word) it renders it in a weird way :frowning:

Yeah same here for a lot of software :frowning:

Thanks for the pictorial representation of the steps, I have tried this from many angles regarding whether to run the offline image file from office dot com or run the web installer. You too might have been run it successfully by now but still here are the steps which worked for me:

1. In winecfg Windows version: Windows 7
  2. Same as OP’s
  3. Same as OP’s
  4. Probably the pause button indicates that the setup is over ( I am running Arch OS and in my case the icons disappears after a minute or too during the install, also no pause button ), But after a while I could see that CPU and network usage have become negligible from wine usage and followed the step 6 to copy the dlls to appropriate locations, and manually started the programs excel word using wine drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/root/Office16 {./EXCEL.EXE for excel, ./WINWORD.EXE for word, ./POWERPNT.EXE for powerpoint} and all seemed to work fine (Although initial impression), and from the Account page it says Subcription Product Microsoft 365. Will have to see if any problem comes up. Till now all good.

It is very difficult to keep Office 365 working consistently under Wine. Every time they get it working, it is broken again in a future update. The reality is that Wine is still partial Windows emulation, not everything is going to work with it.

If you need the full fat Windows clients I would recommend running them in a Windows VM, otherwise, use the web versions.

3 Likes

The only office version I can get to work all the time (but not all components) is office 2010 using wine and playonlinux. Powerpoint often does not work but it does with EnOS though never did on Manjaro. I try to use libreoffice as much as possible but I run into compatibility problems with my colleagues that used on windows and mac and have native office when I need to edit word documents with tracked changes and complicated formatting like equations and other fields.

So you might try play on linux and office 2010. Try 32bit if 64 does not work. Wine seems to work better with 32 bit.

Font rendering in LibreOffice is such a longstanding bugbear, despite a decades worth of fiddling, I’ve never been able to get it to look halfway decent, to the point where I will just work in plan text and paste after.

LibreOffice is painfully under-represented in terms of developers and investment, the one thing we don’t truly have within Linux is a decent fully-featured office suite. Like it or not, Office 365 is head and shoulders above everything else, because they have the money and development time to sustain that level of quality.

The only thing I ever use an office suite for is to open files that the users of office suites send me.

I have not yet found another use for such software and I have no idea why so many people use it.

1 Like

As long as you’re just writing texts you might want to try Scribus or Lyx.
If you need a complete office suite Calligra (former Koffice) might be an alternative.

Thanks, I’ve tried Calligra, and with respect, it’s even worse than LibreOffice.

Large-scale data dashboarding, manipulation, reporting, VB etc. If you work in a corporate environment, it’s more often than not the lifeblood of the organisation. Visualising, handling and presenting data via tools like Excel and PowerBI are a significant use-case.

Edit : Also relevant… https://xkcd.com/2116/ :wink:

2 Likes

While we tend to allow off-topic conversation, a discussion of why use office suites is probably a bit too far off-topic in a help request for installing MS Office under Wine.

3 Likes

You could use Office 365 in the cloud. I works perfectly file with Linux+Firefox

OnlyOffice or WPS? Their default doc is .docx and I’ve never problem with them. You can try Softmaker’s FreeOffice too?

1 Like

It depends what you are trying to do but none of them are fully compatible with MS Office.

Especially in excel and powerpoint.

1 Like

They do get closer then LibreOffice though. OfficeOnline doesn’t have enough features…

It really just depends. I have done a ton of compatibility testing.

I have seen examples that open best in LibreOffice, OnlyOffice, WPS and FreeOffice/Softmaker Office. It seems to be totally dependent on which features are used in the file.

1 Like

My new misson! Something fun to do for the next week!

1 Like

Powerpoint is the one all of them stumble on the most.

Of course, the issues with Excel is none of them support all the features.

WPS PDF get’s very close in my mind.

LibreOffice does in that case :laughing: