[Guide] Install Nvidia hybride graphics with Optimus and Vulkan support

Might have figured out what’s wrong with my setup. Optimus stopped working properly again and I couldn’t switch to hybrid graphics any more. Somehow… I think I was looking at NVidia graphics setup from the arch wiki and I stubled on kernel modules, modprobe and loading drivers. I manually loaded the nvidia-drm and was able to switch to hybrid again. Gonna try to make the change permanent, so I don’t have to manually load the driver. There might be many conflicting settings though.

Yeah, can’t get this to work automatically. I need to manually load the nvidia-drm driver and still prime won’t work. Messing with xorg.conf just messes up the system and SDDM doesn’t work.

I guess I need to set somethings up in modules/modprobe. I just don’t get what.

Edit: After removing and reinstalling nvidia drivers I got optimus to work properly. I just need to manually unload vfio drivers at boot, then restart optimus-manager and then switch to hybrid or nvidia mode.

Thanks… It works great and tested on CS GO with 5.7.11-arch1-1 and Nvidia 450.57 Driver with optimus software.

2 Likes

Welcome to the party @SuperSayiyajin :beers:

Welcome, @SuperSayiyajin glad it works :slight_smile:

P.s. I couldn’t get the prime render of load to work, but my current guide has worked right away with a clean install.

Regards wim

Thanks for your informations and warm wellcome.I tried too many linux distros and i think Endavour is my last stop.

1 Like

I have a feeling that the gdm-prime package is now broken with the latest Gnome Desktop (“gdm” 3.36.3-6.) after core files from PAM were changed.

PAM and PAMBASE got updated, which might prevent you from login

Due to updates from pambase and pam you might take care about any .pacnew files in /etc/pam.d as for example pam_tally , pam_tally2 and pam_cracklib got deprecated

Symptoms of the Break:

• When logging out with older Nvidia Cards that use the Nvidia 390 driver the GDM front end will crash at commend prompt.

• Running the systemctl status gdm you will see the following errors:

systemctl status gdm                                                       
gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2020-09-04 23:13:19 EDT; 1min 18s ago
Main PID: 1159 (gdm)
 Tasks: 3 (limit: 18866)
 Memory: 9.0M
 CGroup: /system.slice/gdm.service
         └─1159 /usr/bin/gdm

Sep 04 23:13:19 hanna systemd[1]: Starting GNOME Display Manager...
Sep 04 23:13:19 hanna systemd[1]: Started GNOME Display Manager.
Sep 04 23:13:29 hanna gdm-fingerprint][3250]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_tally.so):>
Sep 04 23:13:29 hanna gdm-fingerprint][3250]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_tally>
Sep 04 23:13:29 hanna gdm-fingerprint][3250]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user 
Sep 04 23:13:36 hanna gdm-password][3249]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Sep 04 23:13:36 hanna gdm-password][3249]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
Sep 04 23:13:36 hanna gdm-password][3249]: pam_systemd_home(gdm-password:account): systemd-homed is>
Sep 04 23:13:37 hanna gdm-password][3249]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user >
Sep 04 23:13:37 hanna gdm-password][3249]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unloc>

My Notes:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/errors-after-stable-2020-08-28-update-in-gdm-service-which-seem-related-to-pam-changes/21424

Wich nvidia card do you use?

I have an older Thinkpad t430s with the Nvidia NVS 5200M GPU.

I installed nvidia-prime (with optimus-manager)
and in hybrid mode I can launch applications running with Nvidia GPU
run-prime program_name

works with my Intel i5-8300H (8) @ 4.000GHz/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile

ps. shutting down the nvidia gpu for good needs some configurations if you swith to intel mode.Askannz explains power management in his wiki.Great program. I use PCI power control (cant harm you) and PCI remove to silence the Nvidia Gpu before switching to Intel.

Great!
Welcome to the club @Blahnik

I’ve tried this also, but hasn’t worked for me with my GTX1070. I can switch back to Intel usually, but xorg is still using nvidia, so I can’t launch my VM without a complete reboot.