Guide: Full Wayland Setup

Thanks to this forum I recently switched to Sway, the process of which cascaded into running as much as possible on my machine through Wayland. I compiled everything I discovered and configured into this guide.

To give you a sample, the following are now running completely through Wayland on my machine: Sway itself, Waybar, the Wofi app launcher, browsers (and screen sharing), Emacs, all GTK apps, and most QT apps. I worked through some gotchas with Steam and Input Methods too. Overall things are much “snappier” and I’m quite happy with the result!

Please enjoy the guide, and do let me know if you notice any issues. Cheers!

12 Likes

Well done. Very professional looking. :100:

Pudge

3 Likes

I’m currently running KDE on X11, with Sway on Wayland in KDE and also Wayland on KDE. All installed on the same KDE installation. Just testing it out to see how it works, if i like it. What issues i run into with little i know. :wink:

Edit: Maybe eventually I’ll be able to follow this guide. :smile:

2 Likes

That article looks good, can we refer to this article with a link for a wiki article?

3 Likes

Great article!

I wonder why it takes so long for Wayland to become mainstream…
I already ran Arch-gnome with wayland in 2015 without any problems.

1 Like

Hardware support, nvidia :frowning_face: else I would probably use it.

Edit: nice looking article by the way!

2 Likes

Bookmarked! Thanks for the detailed guide :pray:

I’m not using Wayland right now, but your guide is surely gonna be helpful when i make the switch.

3 Likes

Really nice idea! (Would save me a bit of trouble :innocent::grimacing:)

1 Like

Yes, please feel free.

3 Likes

Where did you start from? Desktop?

1 Like

Who is that question directed to? :laughing:

1 Like

I’m asking you where did you start from to install Wayland.

1 Like

It’s likely already installed as a dependency of other packages. But you can just sudo pacman -S sway from anywhere. When you start sway, you’ll need to exit your X server and do it from your login shell.

1 Like

I’m confused here. What desktop did you have installed? Or did you start from a base install without anything?

Edit: The reason I’m asking is because i installed sway in KDE using the Community edition github procedure. I just want to know how to follow your guide.

1 Like

Oh I’m a raw Arch user, but I was using i3 before I switched to sway.

2 Likes

This is what it shows on mine currently.
Edit: This is from KDE booted on X11

[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ pacman -Qg xorg | wc -l
[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ 
1 Like

Yeah I think I still have a number of old X utilities lying around that I installed explicitly years ago. I should clean those up. The example in the post was from my own machine and wouldn’t be the same for everybody.

1 Like

So does it matter which desktop you would have installed as a place to start from?

1 Like

I don’t think so, no. sway becomes the Window Manager, so whatever desktop environment that was previously installed will remain unused (although all its settings would be intact, and you can still switch back to it if necessary).

3 Likes