GTK applications lagging and have a long startup time!

Hi guys! I am not new to EOS and its amazing forum. It’s been like a year or so since I started using it and I am having a great time with it. But one thing I noticed so far and that is a little annoying actually that is the GTK application, doesn’t matter if it’s something as light as thunar takes around 25-30 second to startup, and is a little laggy. Also when I am using any application like for example a browser, whenever I have to use a file picker to specify a download location, it’s just too big that on my second monitor that has a resolution of 1366x768, I can’t even see the bottom part of it with save and cancel button properly. I always have to drag it to my second monitor.

Is there any output when you run the applications from a terminal?

Do you have any of the xdg-desktop-portal* packages? Can your try uninstalling them?

No, I don’t have any packages installed that matches that pattern.

And sorry for replying this late, I was out of town for to attend a meeting.

Open those application via terminal which is experiencing lag, and share the output as told by @jonathon .

Can you install xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk, reboot and try again?

On an asynchronous forum noone cares about the delay, but they do care about questions being responded to and useful information being provided.

2 Likes

I would suggest taking an interest in the state of the Smart drive.

I opened thunar using terminal and therewas no output but when I closed it, it showed this in the terminal: qt.xkb.compose: failed to create compose table.

With celluloid, when I opened it with termials, again there was no output until I closed it, and this time it said: Cannot load libcuda.so.1 in the termianl when I closed it.

I installed both of them and there is no difference.

Now, open terminal and enter journalctl -f, which will display real time logs.

Keep the terminal open, and now try to start those applications, so that terminal can produce the real time logs of the errors.

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Thanks for your precious time! So, actually I kinda fixed my problem. Last month I had to go out of country so I asked my lil sissy to update my pc for me in every 3 days but looks like she just updated it once and finally when I updated it myself after a month (after manually resolving sh*t tons of errors) I don’t have that problem anymore. The only problem that persists is that when I am using a GUI application, whenever there is a popup to for example save a file or upload file, the filepicker on my primary screen (1920x1080) looks normal but on my secondary screen (1366x768), It still overshoots the bottom border of my screen. It’s a little annoying.

2 Likes

Wow is this just happening to you are everyone with more than one monitor?

old issue … please do not necrobump other posts