Grub wont boot windows after install

I have a machine where I just installed Endeavour in its own disk. I’ve configured OS probe to allow the detection and addition of windows to grub but despite the system being found it cannot boot. Some relevant info:

sudo os-prober 
[sudo] senha para vfbsilva: 
/dev/nvme0n1p2:Manjaro Linux (23.1.0):ManjaroLinux:linux
/dev/sdd2@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi

Then I update the entries:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Gerando o arquivo de configuração do grub...
Plano de fundo encontrado: /usr/share/endeavouros/splash.png
Imagem Linux encontrada: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Imagem initrd encontrada: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot:  amd-ucode.img initramfs-linux-fallback.img
Aviso: os-prober será executado para detectar outras partições de arranque.
A sua saída será usada para detectar binários de arranque nessas partições e criar novas entradas.
Encontrado Manjaro Linux (23.1.0) em /dev/nvme0n1p2
Encontrado Windows Boot Manager em /dev/sdd2@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
A adicionar entrada de menu para UEFI Firmware Settings ...
concluído

There is some problem where Endeavour and Manjaro are bootable but windows not. I’m not using fastboot and manjaros grub can access the windows install. The error from endeavours grub is the following:

This is a quite obvious problem, so I installed grub customizer and in endeavour I have:

insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
set root='hd3,gpt2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt2  3E6D-7A34
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 3E6D-7A34
fi
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

For the windows loader. The manjaro loader has:

savedefault
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
set root='hd3,gpt2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt2  3E6D-7A34
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 3E6D-7A34
fi
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

So they are equal hence I cannot grasp the problem.

I think it mighrt be related to:

ls /boot/efi/EFI/
boot/        endeavouros/ 

There is no Microsoft entry but why?

1 Like

No, it is erratic at the moment I could not find a true response. I still wonder why do windows has a double entry on the menu? Can it be because I have another /boot/ partition in another disk?

Does the fact I have a manjaro install with another uefi partition in another disk might be an issue ?

What is causing your issue I do not know however you must give out all relevant information if you expect to get help. Why not explain your entire setup to us so we have an understanding of how you have it setup. This will help the experts be able to help you trouble shoot.

You state

what happens if you modify the grub menu for endeavour and add the windows section to it?

My sugeestion would be to restore the system to a pre-Grub-Customizer state and build up the Grub environment from scratch. If you search the forum you will find posts/threads on how to do that.

I totally missed that great catch :grinning: