GRUB Theming

I’ve been trying to change the theme. But every time I pick a different theme than the one provided by EOS, it crashes after choosing the image, then it reboots if I press any other key

I know it’s possible on Arch, I just don’t know what’s different with how EOS uses GRUB

Hmm. Can you outline the steps you took that makes it not change and instead crash?

1 Like

We don’t do anything special with grub. We don’t even apply a theme, that is just a background image.

The only thing we do is set the settings in /etc/default/grub as part of the install process and add a config for Windows if we detect Windows installed at install time.

It seems a graphical program is used (to choose an image). I am sure it is not grub-customizer :upside_down_face: .

1 Like

That’s why I asked them to outline their steps rather than tell them what to do. Wanna see if it’s user error or an actual bug.

1 Like

I did use grub-customizer

1 Like

Would recommend staying away from this unless you like a broke system. If you wish to customise this part of your install i would make all changes myself and triple check

1 Like

You could restore your Grub “environment” to a pre-grub-customizer state:

sudo mv /etc/grub.d /etc/grub.d.gc
sudo pacman -S grub
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Note that if you have any kernel boot option in your /etc/default/grub, you may need to re-add them before the last command above.

For theming Grub, have a look here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Theme

2 Likes

So now if I want to change the theme, all I have to do is set the GRUB_THEME as whatever I want, then “sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg”, is that right?

Oh goodness, I had that same issue back in the day when I started using EndeavourOS (around the same time as the 2022 Arch GRUB EFI issue), and I hate the tool because it breaks systems’ GRUB so often if uninstalled improperly!

Now if only it was easier to install rEFInd on EndeavourOS…

You could put the folder containing the theme in the location indicated in ArchWiki:

/usr/share/grub/themes/

Or create the directory /boot/grub/themes and put the theme folder in there.

Then edit your /etc/default/grub for example as follows:

GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/themes/<theme_name>/background.png"
GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/<theme_name>/theme.txt"

Lastly, regenerate grub.cfg:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

1 Like