Grub os-prober seems to think I have Mac OS X

Just run sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to ensure my grub is up-to-date and for some reason it finds MAC OS X, which I certainly don’t use and have never had:

Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Manjaro Linux (22.0.0) on /dev/sda1
Found openSUSE Tumbleweed on /dev/sda5
Found Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid on /dev/sda6
Found Mac OS X on /dev/sdb3
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings …
done

Anyone know what’s going on with this? I haven’t changed any partition setup in months. Thanks.

Looked into it a bit further and it seems to think Redcore Linux which I have installed on a USB stick (sdb) is Mac OS X for some reason…

You don’t have an unusual file system type for the filesystem on /dev/sdb3 do you? something like HFS or HFS+? Just a guess, but either one of those might be identified by os-prober as Mac OS X?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had a look at sdb3 and it says the installed filesystem is hfsplus. Ah, so that’s where it’s coming from. Don’t know why it would be using that, unless Redcore has it for some reason.

1 Like

I’d say that is a bit unusual, but at least it explains how os-prober got confused.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a mystery. I just downloaded and transferred the iso as I usually do using USB Image Writer.