Grub not available?

I need to edit some options in /etc/default/grub. After doing so, I wanted to update grub (sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg). However, to my surprise, there’s no such command. When I try installing it with yay -S grub, it tells me that it can’t find the package. What should I do?

Are you sure you are using Grub and not systemd-boot?

Did you mess around with your pacman config and accidentally deleted the entry for the core repository? The grub package is inside the core repo. There’s no way the package couldn’t be found.

There should be the following entry inside your /etc/pacman.conf:

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Does pacman -Ss grub and pacman -Si grub return any results? What about pacman -Qi grub?

And I’m actually a bit confused here. Were you using grub before this? If you are, how can the grub-mkconfig be missing? Did you uninstall the package? Please provide more information. Because at this point, I don’t really know what to make of your situation except that something is very, very wrong with your system.

Oh no, that just might be it. I was enabling the testing repositories and thought that I needed to comment the core too!
EDIT: I thought that endeavour uses grub by default, am I wrong?

In the latest ISO, the default bootloader is systemd-boot. However the option for installing Grub is present if the user prefers that.

If you’ve installed from the latest iso, you can still choose grub, but the default will be systemd-boot.

Bingo. That’s the problem right there. If you comment that out, pacman (and by extension yay) won’t be able to search the core repo.

Oof, I honestly have no idea what I selected. Is there an easy way how to find out?

If grub isn’t installed, chances are that you are using systemd-boot.

If you are using systemd-boot, how come you have this file to be able to edit it at all?

Yeah, that’s why I thought that I had grub, cause the file did exist and appeared to have been configured. But considering that grub ain’t installed, I guess I have systemd boot

Back to your original problem. What were you trying to change?

nvm, I thought that endeavour had a splash screen over systemd boot log. But now my friend told me that he sees the messages anyway. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I’m wondering about this as well.

@kyngs Do you mind telling us how you installed EndeavourOS? I’m too perplexed and curious about this to just let it go.

Just used the iso, however I have no idea whether I chose grub or systemd-boot

Can you run

$ stat /etc/default/grub

And post the result here?

I’m curious to see the file’s creation date.

That file is always installed by the installer.

1 Like

Really? In that case, there’s no mystery then.

3 Likes

Being belonged to Grub, what’s the reason that the file gets installed even though the user has chosen systemd-boot? Does it get installed also if the no bootloader option is chosen?

The idea was that we installed our default settings so that if someone installs grub afterwards they would get a proper grub setup without having to do any work.

1 Like