Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

I was thinking about this too.

Maybe useful to pin it back to the top of the forum. Looks like even after 800 posts, there are users that missed the solution which is more simple before rebooting (reinstall grub) vs. the chroot and other steps necessary once arriving at black screen.

It’s not that arch chroot is difficult, but starts to become painful to watch troubleshooting for the hundred time the same issue, because users can’t search the forum. The magnifying glass is on the top of the webpage…

The post is still pinned. I don’t know why it is not showing up on top as a normal pinned post @Bryanpwo

1 Like

A top banner is still there, but not any longer after you login.

Ah missed that…

The banner is not there because you closed it and it remembers you closing it.

The post should still be globally pinned though.

I don’t see it pinned for me and I didn’t unpin it.

That’s what I meant actually…

But then users have the double down, 1) the info page that have to click away and 2) the pinned message (once it’s back). No excuses, people read… :point_up_2: :wink:

The Arch guys have been uncharacteristically silent. It’s not like them. I figure they would have pulled the update by now. Looks like they have a -3 in testing though, so maybe there’s hope.

1 Like

No Sir. It is exactly as I said. Not logged in, there is a top banner which you can click ( x ) to close. Without closing it, only logging in it is gone. I cleared all site settings and cookies, before relaunching Firefox and logging in, not closing the banner… and the banner is gone after login to the forum.

Perhaps, the forum-software might still know that I once clicked it to close in the past? (As it does keep track of all the moves I make here in general, while being logged-in?)

It is still pinned.

You can unpin it and pin it again if you want to.

That just adds a message. It doesn’t change anything.

2 Likes

Can you check now?

That worked! The post (not the banner) is pinned again, for me. Actually the top post had been gone for at least 1-2 days already. (Again, for me.)

Edit:
I only now found out, I can unpin and pin any top post from the Important Notifications my self by clicking that little pin-icon on the top left of a pinned/unpinned post! So I must have accidentally clicked it, without noticing.
If a moderator does that, it again overrides my pin settings, as just happened with @sradjoker

You can never learn enough!

:blush:

It’s back, thanks! I am on Android right now…

For the third point, I would suggest adding please don't reboot yet and install grub. To make it idiot proof. Like for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1) Update your system as usual (don't reboot yet)

Arch owns this package, not Endeavour. We’re at their tender mercies. :rofl:

1 Like

So far people have issue mounting their partitions not following the post.

Don’t reboot your system for two weeks, hopefully the issue will be fixed. :shushing_face:

Kidding aside, if the user doesn’t reboot, the only command needed in most use cases seems

sudo grub-install

I just see newbies updating and rebooting right away, and then ask for a step by step how to arch-choot. :smiling_face_with_tear:

True, but seems that this happens if they reboot after update without grub install. If I understood correctly. Let me read that pinned post again.

Yes, they should follow point 3. If they miss it, then chroot, and if needed reconfig the partition mount. Easier for them would be point 3 and not miss it. Else new users are in for a good learning experience.

1 Like

Are we going to hit 1000?
:rofl:

2 Likes