Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

Go into UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities and set the first boot from there. It’s at the very bottom of the screen in your post as @dalto mentioned.

1 Like

Well,

its not broken, but grub is still acting the same - i.e. it requires a right shift to see it and only LTS kernel shows.

Its as if its booting from a different grub somewhere else. i’m out of my depth now

ls /etc/grub.d now shows

00_header 10_linux.bak 30_os-prober 30_uefi-firmware 41_custom
10_linux 20_linux_xen 30_os-prober.bak 40_custom README

It probably is. Go into your BIOS and change the boot option to use the proper entry.

It is OK.
At least I feel “fresh” after doing a fresh install.
I have been distrohopping for almost a year and sometimes installing 2 different distros in one day.

It is OK to distrohop one more time in the same place and same distro.

Let us call it Boot loader hopping​:joy:
A real man should be learning something new all the time.

BIOS was set correctly

I re did on the live system

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub

That I’d previously done when chrooted

Thats fixed it.

I guess all the grub customizer stuff made it go screwy when chrooted?

I really appreciate your assistance with this

Best

Keith

1 Like

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

:laughing:

4 Likes

I read it before but I never thought Edison ever had Grub! :rofl:

Most of us don’t either! :rofl:

Damn sure he used refind.

is not resolving anything the two commands are for information about partitions and efi/legacy used …
I do not see any

that i put here ?

rEfind is a bit advanced for his time. Maybe he used - like me - sytemd-boot!

I went back to using rEFInd and the grub issue is still there on fresh installs. I really don’t understand the issue because reinstalling grub just gives me the same file. I use grub to boot in rEFInd. rEFInd is not a boot loader. It is a boot manager. I like using it and i like using GRUB when it works. Right now it’s not being very cooperative.

The grub issue will still be present on offline installs but not online installs.

3 Likes

It is, because the NEW grub-package needs to be installed, which isn’t contained in the offline-installer, as of yet. Next upcoming EnOS-ISO will most likely have solved that.

Well when i add another desktop for multiboot i get the out of memory error and the black screen with boot entries like you get on standard Arch install. So i don’t know. I had to install grub to fix this. Tried it many times. :pouting_man:

Seems like something is wrong with your EFI.

I’m following the steps here to fix my installation, however when I try to boot from a USB with the latest ISO it fails and takes me to the BIOS instead. I made sure to boot from the USB with UEFI. The only explanation I could reason for this is that the latest ISO has grub issues as well and I need an older one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m new to Endeavor and Linux but I’m determined to make it work.

I’m following the steps here to fix my installation, however when I try to boot from a USB with the latest ISO it fails and takes me to the BIOS instead. I made sure to boot from the USB with UEFI. The only explanation I could reason for this is that the latest ISO has grub issues as well and I need an older one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m new to Endeavor and Linux but I’m determined to make it work.

Definitely not. The ISO itself hasn’t changed. It predates the grub issues.

I would double check and ensure secure boot is disabled. If it is, there may be some other issue at work.

1 Like

I don’t think so. It’s all fresh installs. I wiped out all of my triple boot and have reinstalled a number of different distros messing around. I’m back to EndeavourOS with multiboot x2 with rEFInd. The fresh install of kde was fine but when i added another desktop i get some of the grub problems. These installs are all on separate discs.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong. I have it working but the grub issues seem to still be there. I just don’t understand why?