Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

I went back to using rEFInd and the grub issue is still there on fresh installs. I really don’t understand the issue because reinstalling grub just gives me the same file. I use grub to boot in rEFInd. rEFInd is not a boot loader. It is a boot manager. I like using it and i like using GRUB when it works. Right now it’s not being very cooperative.

The grub issue will still be present on offline installs but not online installs.

3 Likes

It is, because the NEW grub-package needs to be installed, which isn’t contained in the offline-installer, as of yet. Next upcoming EnOS-ISO will most likely have solved that.

Well when i add another desktop for multiboot i get the out of memory error and the black screen with boot entries like you get on standard Arch install. So i don’t know. I had to install grub to fix this. Tried it many times. :pouting_man:

Seems like something is wrong with your EFI.

I’m following the steps here to fix my installation, however when I try to boot from a USB with the latest ISO it fails and takes me to the BIOS instead. I made sure to boot from the USB with UEFI. The only explanation I could reason for this is that the latest ISO has grub issues as well and I need an older one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m new to Endeavor and Linux but I’m determined to make it work.

I’m following the steps here to fix my installation, however when I try to boot from a USB with the latest ISO it fails and takes me to the BIOS instead. I made sure to boot from the USB with UEFI. The only explanation I could reason for this is that the latest ISO has grub issues as well and I need an older one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m new to Endeavor and Linux but I’m determined to make it work.

Definitely not. The ISO itself hasn’t changed. It predates the grub issues.

I would double check and ensure secure boot is disabled. If it is, there may be some other issue at work.

1 Like

I don’t think so. It’s all fresh installs. I wiped out all of my triple boot and have reinstalled a number of different distros messing around. I’m back to EndeavourOS with multiboot x2 with rEFInd. The fresh install of kde was fine but when i added another desktop i get some of the grub problems. These installs are all on separate discs.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong. I have it working but the grub issues seem to still be there. I just don’t understand why?

Which of these (various) installs is “in charge” of the grub-setup? (Beware of os-prober on multi-boot systems; only one distro should run it at all, and only that one should be allowed to “install or re-install grub” to the ESP, or EFI.

Each install is separate. os-prober is disabled on all of them. rEFIND manages the boot but they boot from grub.

Same thing applies. If you have multiple systems installing grub things go haywire easily. Only one should be “in charge”, i.e. allowed to re-install grub to the main boot-drive.

Each desktop is individual. They each boot on their own. They have nothing to do with each other. The desktop that boots with rEFInd allows you to boot the other desktops via it’s own grub installation on that disc. That’s how it works. The problem is grub on any newly installed desktop does the same thing usually.

Edit: I’m not having the issue of it booting directly into UEFI. It’s just the other errors such as out of memory or bring up the black arch standard boot menu instead of the EOS menu. Which causes me to have to fix it.

Alright I just rechecked and made sure secure boot is disabled. Still not able to boot from the ISO.

Well, sorry for my lack of insight, re: refind.
Then I guess each separate distro needs a re-install of grub, the way pinned to the top of the forum.

Shure your EFI is set up correctly? As @dalto hinted?

This might possibly give some insights (not sure), @Yackasone also:

In addition iso do not use grub to boot, we use systemd-boot and syslinux ( For legacy systems)

2 Likes

Now you mention it, I think I didn’t start getting the ‘out of memory’ errors until I did a fresh online install over an old EOS that kept booting to the bios. It’s all very strange…

Turns out my ISO USB wasn’t formatted properly, unrelated issue. I’ve booted into the live environment now.

3 Likes

Following this guide on how to chroot I’m stuck on the mounting step. The drive I’m trying to access is sdb so I use:

sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt/boot/efi

I get this error:

mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Looking at the guide I’m inferring that my filesystem on that drive is different to the default, but I don’t remember fiddling with it at all. How do I find what filesystem I have on that drive? What should I do differently to properly mount it? I know I’m probably doing something foolish, and I can’t express enough how much I appreciate the help.

its not sdb nr’s importand :slight_smile: if you find a adres you need also the nr’s :slight_smile: